Meade LX90GPS not finding north

  • ekremer59
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hello,

      We are a new member to this group and need some help. We have a Meade LX90GPS and have an issue with auto align. The initial alignment to north is off by about 24 degrees east of north. After alignment of the two stars, it works good, but you have to locate the stars (not in the view finder). Tried Calibrating sensors, but after power off, goes back to 24 degrees off. Bought a new LNT, but it acts the same. We have the 43eg software. What should we try? Meade has been no help. Thanks.

      Steve and Eileen
    • nabonide
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
        I've always had a similar but perhaps not identical problem with my LX90 ACF since I bought it new two years ago. I don't know about its finding North correctly, seems to do that, but it is always off by 20-25 degrees or so on the initial slew to the alignment stars it selects. Once I do align it to 2 stars, though, it is incredibly spot on for the rest of the night, so it's not a major problem. But I have tried calibrating motors and sensors, training drives, etc. Seems to me that if it finds objects perfectly after I align it then the problem must be with the LNT...

        -stan in Brooklyn

        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "ekremer59" <ekremer59@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > We are a new member to this group and need some help. We have a Meade LX90GPS and have an issue with auto align. The initial alignment to north is off by about 24 degrees east of north. After alignment of the two stars, it works good, but you have to locate the stars (not in the view finder). Tried Calibrating sensors, but after power off, goes back to 24 degrees off. Bought a new LNT, but it acts the same. We have the 43eg software. What should we try? Meade has been no help. Thanks.
        >
        > Steve and Eileen

      • Ronald R. Pollack
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2010
          My LX90 does the same thing. I just let it do its thing with the two
          star alignment. After that it works fine!!

          Ron

          On 10/2/2010 11:37 AM, nabonide wrote:

          > I've always had a similar but perhaps not identical problem with my
          > LX90 ACF since I bought it new two years ago. I don't know about its
          > finding North correctly, seems to do that, but it is always off by
          > 20-25 degrees or so on the initial slew to the alignment stars it
          > selects. Once I do align it to 2 stars, though, it is incredibly spot
          > on for the rest of the night, so it's not a major problem. But I have
          > tried calibrating motors and sensors, training drives, etc. Seems to
          > me that if it finds objects perfectly after I align it then the
          > problem must be with the LNT...
          >
          > -stan in Brooklyn
          >
          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com <mailto:lx90%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > "ekremer59" <ekremer59@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > We are a new member to this group and need some help. We have a
          > Meade LX90GPS and have an issue with auto align. The initial alignment
          > to north is off by about 24 degrees east of north. After alignment of
          > the two stars, it works good, but you have to locate the stars (not in
          > the view finder). Tried Calibrating sensors, but after power off, goes
          > back to 24 degrees off. Bought a new LNT, but it acts the same. We
          > have the 43eg software. What should we try? Meade has been no help.
          > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Steve and Eileen

        • icetek66
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2010
            I am having alignment issues as well with my 8" LX90GPS but from this forum and anothers I found out I have a very old version in my Autostar even though I just got the scope about 3 weeks ago. I have the 497EP controller and need the latest update that should fix my clock, alignment star and Goto issues.

            If you are running 42eg can I assume you have a standard 497 controller? If so the Meade website says this about the latest update for it (mentions north fixes):

            07/27/09 #497 AutoStar hand controller software update. Version 5BE2 (1,039 KB).
            General update. Fixes many known bugs. Real time clock corrections. LXD75 polar alignment. Various LX90 pointing and tracking fixes. Adds new magnetic/true north alignment.
            REQUIRES VERSION 5.9 AUTOSTAR UPDATER.

            I am waiting on the controller to PC cable to do my 497ep update - hopefully get it this week. I am new to all this so my suggestion to do an update to the latest fix is not based on any experience with the 497 with v43eg but having the latest version sounds right.

            There are other sources for updaters out there that correct even more bugs in the autostars (tours,etc...) so once you get the North issue figured out take a look around for them. This and other forums are great sources...

            let us know how you make out
            Mike