Re: MOTOR UNIT FAULT

  • kimlx90
    Message 1 of 30 , May 2, 2010
      I've had several HBX cables fail, and they always fail inside the RJ45 plug. I ended up buying a RJ45 crimper and repairing it myself. To help stop the wires breaking I added strain relief boots to each end, and since haven't had any further problems.

      Strain relif boot:
      http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10654

      If you do repair it yourself you'll find getting the wires in a bit tricky, just make sure you can see the wires are right in and in the right order when you look at the plug before you crimp them.

      I also ended up making a test rig that swaps the wires back, so that I could use a standard network tester to confirm the connections were good. If you want to use a multimeter for testing, you'll probably have to connect a couple of fine wires to the probes so that you can make contact with the individual RJ45 pins. Wireing diagram is here:
      http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html

      Kim

      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@...> wrote:

      > Thanks,Niall,Perry,Dick,Peter and all for your wisdom regarding my suspected dodgy autostar cable.I will be away for two weeks hunting for dark skies in Yorkshire and unable to fix my problem before I go.Hopefully the sky gods will smile on me and let me do some trouble free galaxy hunting before the fault interferes!
      > Best wishes and dark skies to you all.
      > Steve
      > The Field
      > Surrey
      > UK

    • Joe Tannenbaum
      Message 2 of 30 , May 2, 2010
        Kim,

        Very good.  I never thought of the boots, but on my LX90, I leave the hbx in the holder most of the time, so there is no strain on the cable. Also I'd like to say for
        others, a Network cable kit with crimpers is usually a fairly cheap item and well worth the money to have around.  I've used mine to fix telephone, and network cables and make my own network cables.

        Joe

        ________________________________
        I've had several HBX cables fail, and they always fail inside the RJ45 plug. I ended up buying a RJ45 crimper and repairing it myself. To help stop the wires breaking I added strain relief boots to each end, and since haven't had any further problems.

        Strain relif boot:
        http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10654

        If you do repair it yourself you'll find getting the wires in a bit tricky, just make sure you can see the wires are right in and in the right order when you look at the plug before you crimp them.

        I also ended up making a test rig that swaps the wires back, so that I could use a standard network tester to confirm the connections were good. If you want to use a multimeter for testing, you'll probably have to connect a couple of fine wires to the probes so that you can make contact with the individual RJ45 pins. Wireing diagram is here:
        http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html

        Kim

        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@...> wrote:

        > Thanks,Niall,Perry,Dick,Peter and all for your wisdom regarding my suspected dodgy autostar cable.I will be away for two weeks hunting for dark skies in Yorkshire and unable to fix my problem before I go.Hopefully the sky gods will smile on me and let me do some trouble free galaxy hunting before the fault interferes!
        > Best wishes and dark skies to you all.
        > Steve
        > The Field
        > Surrey
        > UK

      • steve.mcshane
        Message 3 of 30 , May 19, 2010
          Hi All,
          Having proven that my fault is definately the autostar cable,I am about to order one from Telescopehouse.com however they sell handbox cables for both Autostar II and Autostar 497.Now I'm confused!How can I tell which cable I need and what is the difference between them?
          Cheers,
          Steve
          The Field
          Surrey
          UK

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@...> wrote:

          > I've had several HBX cables fail, and they always fail inside the RJ45 plug. I ended up buying a RJ45 crimper and repairing it myself. To help stop the wires breaking I added strain relief boots to each end, and since haven't had any further problems.
          >
          > Strain relif boot:
          > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10654
          >
          > If you do repair it yourself you'll find getting the wires in a bit tricky, just make sure you can see the wires are right in and in the right order when you look at the plug before you crimp them.
          >
          > I also ended up making a test rig that swaps the wires back, so that I could use a standard network tester to confirm the connections were good. If you want to use a multimeter for testing, you'll probably have to connect a couple of fine wires to the probes so that you can make contact with the individual RJ45 pins. Wireing diagram is here:
          > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html
          >
          > Kim
          >
          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks,Niall,Perry,Dick,Peter and all for your wisdom regarding my suspected dodgy autostar cable.I will be away for two weeks hunting for dark skies in Yorkshire and unable to fix my problem before I go.Hopefully the sky gods will smile on me and let me do some trouble free galaxy hunting before the fault interferes!
          > > Best wishes and dark skies to you all.
          > > Steve
          > > The Field
          > > Surrey
          > > UK

        • johansea
          Message 4 of 30 , May 19, 2010
            Gday Steve

            The ASII handbox cable only uses 4 wires
            whereas the 497 style uses 8 wires.

            Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

            --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@...> wrote:

            > Hi All,
            > Having proven that my fault is definately the autostar cable,I am about to order one from Telescopehouse.com however they sell handbox cables for both Autostar II and Autostar 497.Now I'm confused!How can I tell which cable I need and what is the difference between them?
            > Cheers,
            > Steve
            > The Field
            > Surrey
            > UK
            >

            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've had several HBX cables fail, and they always fail inside the RJ45 plug. I ended up buying a RJ45 crimper and repairing it myself. To help stop the wires breaking I added strain relief boots to each end, and since haven't had any further problems.
            > >
            > > Strain relif boot:
            > > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10654
            > >
            > > If you do repair it yourself you'll find getting the wires in a bit tricky, just make sure you can see the wires are right in and in the right order when you look at the plug before you crimp them.
            > >
            > > I also ended up making a test rig that swaps the wires back, so that I could use a standard network tester to confirm the connections were good. If you want to use a multimeter for testing, you'll probably have to connect a couple of fine wires to the probes so that you can make contact with the individual RJ45 pins. Wireing diagram is here:
            > > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html
            > >
            > > Kim
            > >
            > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,Niall,Perry,Dick,Peter and all for your wisdom regarding my suspected dodgy autostar cable.I will be away for two weeks hunting for dark skies in Yorkshire and unable to fix my problem before I go.Hopefully the sky gods will smile on me and let me do some trouble free galaxy hunting before the fault interferes!
            > > > Best wishes and dark skies to you all.
            > > > Steve
            > > > The Field
            > > > Surrey
            > > > UK

          • steve.mcshane
            Message 5 of 30 , May 20, 2010
              Thanks from Down Under,Andrew!
              Steve,
              The Field
              Surrey
              UK

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "johansea" <johansea@...> wrote:

              > Gday Steve
              >
              > The ASII handbox cable only uses 4 wires
              > whereas the 497 style uses 8 wires.
              >
              > Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia
              >
              > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "steve.mcshane" <jokers@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi All,
              > > Having proven that my fault is definately the autostar cable,I am about to order one from Telescopehouse.com however they sell handbox cables for both Autostar II and Autostar 497.Now I'm confused!How can I tell which cable I need and what is the difference between them?
              > > Cheers,
              > > Steve
              > > The Field
              > > Surrey
              > > UK
              > >

              > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I've had several HBX cables fail, and they always fail inside the RJ45 plug. I ended up buying a RJ45 crimper and repairing it myself. To help stop the wires breaking I added strain relief boots to each end, and since haven't had any further problems.
              > > >
              > > > Strain relif boot:
              > > > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10654
              > > >
              > > > If you do repair it yourself you'll find getting the wires in a bit tricky, just make sure you can see the wires are right in and in the right order when you look at the plug before you crimp them.
              > > >
              > > > I also ended up making a test rig that swaps the wires back, so that I could use a standard network tester to confirm the connections were good. If you want to use a multimeter for testing, you'll probably have to connect a couple of fine wires to the probes so that you can make contact with the individual RJ45 pins. Wireing diagram is here:
              > > > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html
              > > >
              > > > Kim

            • steve.mcshane
              Message 6 of 30 , Jun 9, 2010
                Hi all,
                Sorry about the delay finishing this post but the good news is after replacing my handset curly lead with a new one (£15 from Telescope House)everything works perfectly.:-)
                Cheers,
                Steve
                The Field
                Surrey