IYA Discovery Guides

  • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      Thought you might like to see this:

      Night Sky Network members:

      Join the International Year of Astronomy (IYA) celebration and make your
      2009 events extra special with IYA Discovery Guides and other unique treats!

      The Night Sky Network (NSN), ASP, NSF, NASA, and the IYA USA committee have
      teamed up to provide you with:
      1. Monthly IYA Discovery Guides
      2. A fully searchable online database of Night Sky Network activities
      3. Free NASA handouts for Active NSN clubs
      4. How to get your club involved
      5. Monthly telecons for NSN members

      > 1. Monthly IYA Discovery Guides
      Join amateur astronomers worldwide and plan your 2009 events to include the
      featured observing object and activity. Download your free IYA Discovery
      Guides here:
      http://www.astrosociety.org/iya/guides.html

      > 2. A fully searchable online database of Night Sky Network activities
      Go to Night Sky Network and click on "Access NSN Activities" or go here:
      http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/download-search.cfm

      And those are just the publicly accessible resources. Log into the NSN and
      access more by selecting "Download Astronomy Outreach Resources."

      > 3. Free NASA handouts for Active NSN clubs
      Club Coordinators of Active NSN clubs may request free handouts directly
      from NASA and others. Log into NSN and select "Request Outreach
      Handouts/Giveaways." To ensure your items arrive in time, place your request at least six to
      eight weeks before your event. If yours is an Associate Club, instructions
      for re-gaining "Active" status will be displayed when you log in.

      > 4. How to get your club involved
      WEBMASTERS: Share IYA with all your club members and website visitors.
      Place a link on your website to the IYA Discovery Guides and NSN Activities.
      Download icons here:
      http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/download-view.cfm?Doc_ID=338
      Let us know when you add these to your website!

      NEWSLETTER EDITORS: You are welcome to use the article in the Guide in your
      monthly newsletter.

      Download the official IYA 5-minute video and show it to your club members.
      IYA Introduction video:
      http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/download-view.cfm?Doc_ID=316

      Play this special IYA song by AstroCappella about Galileo and telescopes.
      Shoulders of Giants:
      http://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/download-view.cfm?Doc_ID=314

      To get your club members started, send them an email with a link to the IYA
      Discovery Guides: http://www.astrosociety.org/iya/guides.html

      > 5. Monthly telecons for NSN members. Mark your calendars for the first
      two:
      Tuesday, November 18th, 6 pm Pacific:
      "How to make an Itty Bitty (sidewalk) Radio Telescope" with Sue Ann
      Heatherly of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO).

      Thursday, December 11th, 6 pm Pacific:
      "IYA 2009 Night Sky Network Kick-off" with Dr. Stephen Pompea, Project
      Director for the US IYA Committee and Dr. Andrea Schweitzer, Project Manager of
      the USA IYA Committee.

      Details on how to participate will be sent the first week of November.

      > We'll be announcing more IYA 2009 treats exclusively for NSN m_embers
      in the coming months.

      Feel free to share this email with all your club members.

      Join amateur astronomers around the globe as together we connect millions
      with the universe.

      One Earth. One Sky. Share the discovery!

      Marni Berendsen, Vivian White, and Kenneth Frank
      Night Sky Network Administrators
      Astronomical Society of the Pacific

      _ (http://my.att.net/p/PWP-awwaldo)

      Looking Up,