Binoview

  • exola
    Message 1 of 6 , May 1, 2008
      Anyone use a Binoview? What brand would you suggest getting? I'm new
      at this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene
    • Peter Vasey
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2008
        Hi, Gene,

        Like any optical instrument up to a point you get what you pay for. You
        can spend anywhere between £100 to £500, and as usual the improvement is
        asymptotic! I have an 'el cheapo' binoviewer - of the type sold by
        Telescope House for around £75 (http://tinyurl.com/5vdk38 ).

        When I bought mine it included a pair of 17 mm eyepieces and the total
        was around £100. I've never looked through a 'top end' unit, but find
        mine perfectly satisfactory and excellent value for money.

        At the other end of the scale for example is the Hutech-Borg offering at
        £570 (http://www.scsastro.co.uk/it050023.htm )

        I believe the Denkmeier unit is well received.

        So really it depends on how much you want to spend. Have a browse
        around the 'net' for reviews.

        But regardless of what you decide to get, the experience is awesome!
        Although in theory the image is still two-dimensional, nevertheless the
        eye-brain interface plays interesting tricks, with the result that the
        final image often takes on a definite 3-D appearance. And although the
        light is split between the two eyes, there is little or no apparent loss
        of brightness - indeed the image can sometimes be improved because
        usually one eye works better than the other.

        As an example, I see M27 as a patch of light floating in front of the
        background stars, and definitely better defined than when viewing with
        one eye.

        The only real drawback is the need to have two eyepieces for each
        magnification level, and of course the individual binoviewer eyepiece
        holders have to be adjusted to bring both eyes into focus together. The
        eyepiece diameters must be reasonably small to allow correct eye
        separation. Averted vision is difficult. You need plenty of back
        focus, but that's not a problem with the LX90.

        Cheers, Peter.

        http://www.madpc.co.uk/~peterv/index.html
        Approx. 55ºN, 2ºW (Northumberland, UK)

        exola wrote:
        > Anyone use a Binoview? What brand would you suggest getting? I'm new
        > at this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene
      • Joe Lalumia
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2008
          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "exola" <exola@...> wrote:
          I have a pair of Stellarvue BV3s--- very similar to Williams Optics
          bino-- they are very good as an entry level binoviewer. If you have a
          refractor or reflector you will need to get the Siebert Optics OCA--
          two lenses and a tube--- that will permit this bino and others to come
          to focus in certain refractors and reflectors. OR-- you can use a 2x
          barlow-- however the Siebert device is 1.25x --- and also improves the
          image quality.
          http://www.siebertoptics.bizland.com/SiebertOptics-OCA.html

          Joe

          > Anyone use a Binoview? What brand would you suggest getting? I'm new
          > at this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene

        • Rob Roberson
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2008
            Hi Gene,

            I've been receiving mail from this group for a while but this is my
            first time responding. Since your question was so relevant to what I've
            been working on the last few day's, looking for a good yet inexpensive
            binoviewer. After much review on the net and by process of elimination
            and process of thin wallet my chooses came down to two or three. I
            choose the Williams Optics BinoViewer
            http://www.opticsplanet.net/william-optics-binoviewers-superpackage-wa-b
            ino-p.html and I ordered it yesterday. I like the price, $198 and the
            kit version comes with two 20mm mid-range wide angle eyepiece's 66', a
            1.6 barlow and case. The individual helical focusing and anti-marring
            brass compression rings sold me also. I understand that you want to at
            the very least get a unit with anti-marring compression rings so the
            eyepieces will be centered and stable. Also you want to get a viewer
            that has individual focusing for each eyepiece as opposed to a dual
            focuser. I'll let you know how they work after I try them if you like,
            but it will take a couple weeks until I can get out to try them.

            Rob

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2008
              Whoops.... here is the correct URL for the bino viewers I ordered.

              Rob

              http://www.opticsplanet.net/william-optics-binoviewers-superpackage-wa-b
              ino-p.html

              Rob

              ________________________________

              Anyone use a Binoview? What brand would you suggest getting? I'm new
              at this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene

            • vic20owner
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5, 2008
                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "exola" <exola@...> wrote:

                > Anyone use a Binoview? What brand would you suggest getting? I'm new
                > at this so any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Gene

                Hi Gene, I have the William Optics binoviewer and it is identical to
                the orion bino viewer (which if I recall is less expensive). I
                believe they are both the same identical bino, made in china, etc,
                except the William Optics may be examined for alignment before
                shipping... if I had seen the orion one first I would have gone with
                it because the price difference was substantial.

                The first time I used it, I had to spend some time adjusting until it
                was comfortable and I could combine the two images ... when it finally
                happened the moon was incredible ... at least I thought... until i
                looked at M42! Wow! I was completely blown away!!!

                M42 which once looked like a green patch with stars now looked like a
                huge dust cloud surrounding a group of stars. When I say dust cloud I
                mean 3d, clouds of brown dust floating in space in front of other more
                distant clouds.

                I know you can't technically see 3d at such a distance but I can
                assure you, your brain convinces you that you ARE seeing 3d... and
                that means it LOOKS 3d. It's incredible.

                Planets look incredible too.

                Unfortunately the loss of light means you can't use it on faint
                fuzzies but M42, planets and the moon are enough.

                BTW, The orion version came with eyepieces for awhile... I am using
                two Meade Plossl 25mm's.

                For planets, 12's would be better.

                You'll love it once you get it figured out.