Re: [lx90] Saturn at 500x

  • Bob Snelgrove
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2000
      That's the same one I have from my Orion ST80.

      What kind of detail were you getting on Jupiter that night?

      bob

      At 12:49 PM 1/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
      >10mm SMA=basic kellner. made by celestron. junky EP. I'm surprised i got
      >such a good view with it. A good 10mm plossl or ortho or something would
      >work better.
      >
      >>Michael
      >>
      >>What brand is the 10 mm? Is it a high end ep?
      >>
      >>thx
      >>
      >>bob
      >>

      >>At 11:17 PM 12/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
      >>> Just for some fun facts that make me love the '90 even more... i
      >>>stuck it up to 500x tonight using a 3x barlow (2x before diagonal) and a
      >>>10mm SMA. Image quality was excellent, and i think that i saw a dimming of
      >>>the ring on the very inside... i just looked at a photo and there the
      >>>dimming was.. what's that called? It was just a thinner portion of the ring
      >>>i think. But also, the tracking was incredible. It just sat there, with a
      >>>field of 6 arc-minutes. I was amazed. Now all i need is an electric focuser
      >>>to precisely focus at that magnification, and a slightly higher quality EP
      >>>(maybe one with like more than 2mm of eye relief). ;)
      >>> Spread the love of the '90!
      >>>
      >>>TheElf
      >>>Michael Lott
      >>>mlott@...

      >TheElf
      >Michael Lott
      >mlott@...

    • Michael Lott
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
        whoops i forgot. it was meade's variable barlow and i had it set at 2.5x,
        so it was 500x. yea it was a nice new year's present from the stars above.
        Unfortunately, it was darn hazy =P
        >Wow. That's unheard of in these parts with the crummy seeing. If I hit
        >200x on a good night, I'm tickled :)
        >
        >Isn't the 10mm w/ 3x Barlow 600??!!?? (200x3)
        >
        >Bob
        >

        >At 11:17 PM 12/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
        >> Just for some fun facts that make me love the '90 even more... i
        >>stuck it up to 500x tonight using a 3x barlow (2x before diagonal) and a
        >>10mm SMA. Image quality was excellent, and i think that i saw a dimming of
        >>the ring on the very inside... i just looked at a photo and there the
        >>dimming was.. what's that called? It was just a thinner portion of the ring
        >>i think. But also, the tracking was incredible. It just sat there, with a
        >>field of 6 arc-minutes. I was amazed. Now all i need is an electric focuser
        >>to precisely focus at that magnification, and a slightly higher quality EP
        >>(maybe one with like more than 2mm of eye relief). ;)
        >> Spread the love of the '90!
        >>
        >>TheElf
        >>Michael Lott
        >>mlott@...

        TheElf
        Michael Lott
        mlott@...
      • Bob Snelgrove
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
          Michael

          What brand is the 10 mm? Is it a high end ep?

          thx

          bob

          At 11:17 PM 12/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
          > Just for some fun facts that make me love the '90 even more... i
          >stuck it up to 500x tonight using a 3x barlow (2x before diagonal) and a
          >10mm SMA. Image quality was excellent, and i think that i saw a dimming of
          >the ring on the very inside... i just looked at a photo and there the
          >dimming was.. what's that called? It was just a thinner portion of the ring
          >i think. But also, the tracking was incredible. It just sat there, with a
          >field of 6 arc-minutes. I was amazed. Now all i need is an electric focuser
          >to precisely focus at that magnification, and a slightly higher quality EP
          >(maybe one with like more than 2mm of eye relief). ;)
          > Spread the love of the '90!
          >
          >TheElf
          >Michael Lott
          >mlott@...

        • Michael Lott
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
            10mm SMA=basic kellner. made by celestron. junky EP. I'm surprised i got
            such a good view with it. A good 10mm plossl or ortho or something would
            work better.

            >Michael
            >
            >What brand is the 10 mm? Is it a high end ep?
            >
            >thx
            >
            >bob
            >

            >At 11:17 PM 12/31/2000 -0500, you wrote:
            >> Just for some fun facts that make me love the '90 even more... i
            >>stuck it up to 500x tonight using a 3x barlow (2x before diagonal) and a
            >>10mm SMA. Image quality was excellent, and i think that i saw a dimming of
            >>the ring on the very inside... i just looked at a photo and there the
            >>dimming was.. what's that called? It was just a thinner portion of the ring
            >>i think. But also, the tracking was incredible. It just sat there, with a
            >>field of 6 arc-minutes. I was amazed. Now all i need is an electric focuser
            >>to precisely focus at that magnification, and a slightly higher quality EP
            >>(maybe one with like more than 2mm of eye relief). ;)
            >> Spread the love of the '90!
            >>
            >>TheElf
            >>Michael Lott
            >>mlott@...

            TheElf
            Michael Lott
            mlott@...
          • Michael Lott
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2001
              erm. not great. i dont know why though. Maybe 5 bands with little detail.
              Jupiter and Saturn seem to have different decisions as to what is good
              seeing and not ;)

              >That's the same one I have from my Orion ST80.
              >
              >What kind of detail were you getting on Jupiter that night?
              >
              >bob
              >
              >At 12:49 PM 1/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
              >>10mm SMA=basic kellner. made by celestron. junky EP. I'm surprised i got
              >>such a good view with it. A good 10mm plossl or ortho or something would
              >>work better.
              >>
              >>>Michael
              >>>
              >>>What brand is the 10 mm? Is it a high end ep?
              >>>
              >>>thx
              >>>
              >>>bob

              >>TheElf
              >>Michael Lott
              >>mlott@...

              TheElf
              Michael Lott
              mlott@...
            • Professor Jerry Mander
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2001
                Just goes to show you. Most often it's not the equipment, but the
                seeing that really makes the difference, particularly on planetary
                objects.