clicking noise LX90

  • henrik.vanholthoon
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2007
      Hello More Linux,

      I do not know where you live but if it is in Europe the repair of
      the telescope might take a long time. If you live in the US I would
      bring the scope back to the dealer and let them take care of the
      problem.

      I believe it is mechanical problem i.e.
      1) Misalignment between worm and worm gear.
      2) The worm drives are spring-loaded, spring not correctly installed
      3) One of the gears driving the worm damaged
      4) Movement azm. or alt. axis obstructed, the should when not clamped
      turn easily and smoothly.

      You did not say which of the drive jumps but I suppect it is the AZM
      drive.

      If you have no experience with this kind of mechanics you better do
      not touch it but one thing you can check easily is the worm in de
      base remove little cover in the bottom and have a look may be you can
      then see right away what the problem is.

      Download the correct description how to do this from Jan's Meade
      pages "Base disassembly"

      Hopefully you can solve your problem.
      Regards Henrik
    • More Linux
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2007
        On Tuesday 01 May 2007 12:12, henrik.vanholthoon wrote:
        > Hello More Linux,
        >
        > I do not know where you live but if it is in Europe the repair of
        > the telescope might take a long time. If you live in the US I would
        > bring the scope back to the dealer and let them take care of the
        > problem.
        >
        > I believe it is mechanical problem i.e.
        > 1) Misalignment between worm and worm gear.
        > 2) The worm drives are spring-loaded, spring not correctly installed
        > 3) One of the gears driving the worm damaged
        > 4) Movement azm. or alt. axis obstructed, the should when not clamped
        > turn easily and smoothly.
        >
        > You did not say which of the drive jumps but I suppect it is the AZM
        > drive.
        >
        > If you have no experience with this kind of mechanics you better do
        > not touch it but one thing you can check easily is the worm in de
        > base remove little cover in the bottom and have a look may be you can
        > then see right away what the problem is.
        >
        > Download the correct description how to do this from Jan's Meade
        > pages "Base disassembly"
        >
        > Hopefully you can solve your problem.
        > Regards Henrik

        Hi Henrik,

        I'm from The Netherlands (you to?)

        I can bring it back to the shop where I bought the LX90 and then they will
        have a look at it and try to fix it. They think, as you also mentioned, that
        is is something in the worm gear. They think it's a loose screw. Hope it is,
        would be a easy fix :)

        Clear sky,
        More
      • henrik.vanholthoon
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2007
          Hallo More,Yes I am Dutch but live most of the time in France I was
          wondering from which dealer you bought your LX90GPS in Holland and
          what size you have mine is 8" that is more or less still portable.
          Hope dealer will solve your problem in your drive system.
          groeten Henrik

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, More Linux <more.linux@...> wrote:

          > On Tuesday 01 May 2007 12:12, henrik.vanholthoon wrote:
          > > Hello More Linux,
          > >
          > > I do not know where you live but if it is in Europe the repair of
          > > the telescope might take a long time. If you live in the US I
          would
          > > bring the scope back to the dealer and let them take care of the
          > > problem.
          > >
          > > I believe it is mechanical problem i.e.
          > > 1) Misalignment between worm and worm gear.
          > > 2) The worm drives are spring-loaded, spring not correctly
          installed
          > > 3) One of the gears driving the worm damaged
          > > 4) Movement azm. or alt. axis obstructed, the should when not
          clamped
          > > turn easily and smoothly.
          > >
          > > You did not say which of the drive jumps but I suppect it is the
          AZM
          > > drive.
          > >
          > > If you have no experience with this kind of mechanics you better
          do
          > > not touch it but one thing you can check easily is the worm in de
          > > base remove little cover in the bottom and have a look may be you
          can
          > > then see right away what the problem is.
          > >
          > > Download the correct description how to do this from Jan's Meade
          > > pages "Base disassembly"
          > >
          > > Hopefully you can solve your problem.
          > > Regards Henrik
          >
          > Hi Henrik,
          >
          > I'm from The Netherlands (you to?)
          >
          > I can bring it back to the shop where I bought the LX90 and then
          they will
          > have a look at it and try to fix it. They think, as you also
          mentioned, that
          > is is something in the worm gear. They think it's a loose screw.
          Hope it is,
          > would be a easy fix :)
          >
          > Clear sky,
          > More

        • More Linux
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2007
            On Wednesday 02 May 2007 18:02:30 henrik.vanholthoon wrote:
            > Hallo More,Yes I am Dutch but live most of the time in France I was
            > wondering from which dealer you bought your LX90GPS in Holland and
            > what size you have mine is 8" that is more or less still portable.
            > Hope dealer will solve your problem in your drive system.
            > groeten Henrik

            Yup, mine is 8" to and it is really portable. I thought the 10" or bigger are
            to heavy. The dealer is Robtics.

            Groeten More