handbox or cable, which is going on me?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi all,

      While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure looked like
      it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit, so I
      know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to figure out
      if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?

      In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off the base
      and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
      everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's movement to
      cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....

      Dave
    • kimlx90
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hello Dave,

        I've had lots of problems with the HBX cables. If you plug it in and
        turn on the scope, then move the cable near each end of the plug side
        to side, if it's the cable the power will go off to the Autostar.

        I've now repaired both ends of my cable, and fitted plugs with strain
        relief boots. If you are going to repair yours don't forget it's not
        wired straight through like a network patch cable. Check out Jans site at
        http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html for the pinouts.

        Kim

        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure looked like
        > it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit, so I
        > know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to figure out
        > if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?
        >
        > In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off the base
        > and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
        > everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's movement to
        > cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....
        >
        > Dave

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
          Hi Kim,

          I no longer have access to the tools to rebuild a cable. When I
          worked in the lab at Cisco I had ready access. Do you have any
          descriptions of your modifications?

          Dave
          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@...> wrote:

          > Hello Dave,
          >
          > I've had lots of problems with the HBX cables. If you plug it in and
          > turn on the scope, then move the cable near each end of the plug
          side
          > to side, if it's the cable the power will go off to the Autostar.
          >
          > I've now repaired both ends of my cable, and fitted plugs with
          strain
          > relief boots. If you are going to repair yours don't forget it's not
          > wired straight through like a network patch cable. Check out Jans
          site at
          > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html for the pinouts.
          >
          > Kim
          >

          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure looked
          like
          > > it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit,
          so I
          > > know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to
          figure out
          > > if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?
          > >
          > > In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off
          the base
          > > and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
          > > everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's
          movement to
          > > cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....
          > >
          > > Dave

        • Ralph Dominica
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 1, 2007
            Dave
            My LX 90 Classic just celebrated its 6th birthday and I am on my
            second hbx cable. the symptoms you described sound like those that I
            have experienced. the loss of contact on one of the contacts caused
            be a slight cable strain when slewing or the handbox dropping and
            dangling were the precipitating events that lead to the replacement
            with a new cable.
            With secure new contacts on a new cable, i haven't experienced the
            problem.
            cheers and clear skies
            Ralph D
            -- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@...> wrote:

            > Hi Kim,
            >
            > I no longer have access to the tools to rebuild a cable. When I
            > worked in the lab at Cisco I had ready access. Do you have any
            > descriptions of your modifications?
            >
            > Dave
            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Dave,
            > >
            > > I've had lots of problems with the HBX cables. If you plug it in
            and
            > > turn on the scope, then move the cable near each end of the plug
            > side
            > > to side, if it's the cable the power will go off to the Autostar.
            > >
            > > I've now repaired both ends of my cable, and fitted plugs with
            > strain
            > > relief boots. If you are going to repair yours don't forget it's
            not
            > > wired straight through like a network patch cable. Check out Jans
            > site at
            > > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html for the pinouts.
            > >
            > > Kim
            > >

            > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi all,
            > > >
            > > > While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure
            looked
            > like
            > > > it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit,
            > so I
            > > > know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to
            > figure out
            > > > if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?
            > > >
            > > > In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off
            > the base
            > > > and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
            > > > everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's
            > movement to
            > > > cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....
            > > >
            > > > Dave

          • kimlx90
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
              Hi Dave,

              The problems with my cables were due to a broken or badly crimped wire
              in the plug. The power to the Autostar travels along the outside wires
              pins 1 & 8 so that any lateral strain causes them to break.

              To help with strain relief I cut up one of my spare computer patch
              cables and slid off the strain relief boots. I slipped the boots on
              the HBX cable and crimped on new plugs. I did have to buy a rj45 crimp
              tool.

              The boots are something like
              http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51299

              You can get a retro fit version that just clip's on, but I'm not sure
              if they would fit the original plugs on the HBX cable, as the plugs
              are shorter than a standard rj45 plug.

              For retro fit boots see
              http://www.homestead.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51300

              Kim

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@...> wrote:

              > Hi Kim,
              >
              > I no longer have access to the tools to rebuild a cable. When I
              > worked in the lab at Cisco I had ready access. Do you have any
              > descriptions of your modifications?
              >
              > Dave
              > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "kimlx90" <kimlx90@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Dave,
              > >
              > > I've had lots of problems with the HBX cables. If you plug it in and
              > > turn on the scope, then move the cable near each end of the plug
              > side
              > > to side, if it's the cable the power will go off to the Autostar.
              > >
              > > I've now repaired both ends of my cable, and fitted plugs with
              > strain
              > > relief boots. If you are going to repair yours don't forget it's not
              > > wired straight through like a network patch cable. Check out Jans
              > site at
              > > http://jan.eaglecreekobservatory.org/pinouts.html for the pinouts.
              > >
              > > Kim
              > >

              > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi all,
              > > >
              > > > While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure looked
              > like
              > > > it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit,
              > so I
              > > > know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to
              > figure out
              > > > if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?
              > > >
              > > > In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off
              > the base
              > > > and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
              > > > everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's
              > movement to
              > > > cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....
              > > >
              > > > Dave

            • Joe Tannenbaum
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                Dave,

                I've found that the power plug often gets loose. I now loop the
                cord around the fork leg and velcro the wire close to the plug
                so it can't vibrate out.

                Joe

                Dave <dksdad1@...> wrote:
                Hi all,

                While out last night my handbox restarted 3 times. It sure looked like
                it lost power, but the little red light on the base stayed lit, so I
                know it wasn't that. Does anyone have and easy way for me to figure out
                if it's the cable or the handbox that is going bad?

                In the interest of full disclosure, the handbox has fallen off the base
                and dangled a few times lately as I've been out imaging and had
                everything just sitting there long enough for the scope's movement to
                cause the handbox to fall and hang by the cable.....

                Dave

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Joe Lalumia
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 2, 2007
                  --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dksdad1@...> wrote:
                  >Dont feel alone! I have replaced 3 cables on my LX90 before switching
                  to the cable sold at Scopestuff.com. Much better quality than Meade
                  cable...........longer and more flexible.