autostar/autoguiding question/problem

  • Jim Holland
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi all,

      I've got a question about autoguiding.

      The other night I was experimenting with the autoguiding feature of
      the software. It appeared to be working as advertised and guiding on
      the star I'd picked.

      Later the software appeared to freeze, so I shut down everything and
      came back in. When I came back into the software and tried to
      autoguide again from the telescope tab, none of the autoguiding
      features were active.

      Ie. the "Track Here", "Track Last", "Will Cal", "Center Target"
      and "set Target" were all greyed out. In the connection status
      dialogue box, the laptop showed connected to the autostar and
      displayed it could "autoguide".

      Has anyone out there seen this behavior before and come up with a
      work around. I shut down all aspects of the PC software including
      rebooting the PC. Also tried disconnecting all of the cables and
      reconnecting. To no avail.

      I did not shutdown the scope as I didn't want to go thru the
      alignment procedure again. Hopefully that's not the solution.

      Regards

      Jim Holland
      30.22N 84.22W
    • Tom O'Donoghue
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
        Hi Jim,
        Can you give us some more details as to your set up.
        Is the guiding with the LPI, Toucam, CCD, or some
        other device. What guiding s/w are you using and what
        is your interface. I've received a lot of help from
        this group, so hopefully we can help you.
        Tom.

        --- Jim Holland <jholland12@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------
[...]

        To unsubscribe from this group mailto
        lx90-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

        Meade
        lx90 Astronomy
        software Astronomy
        magazine

        Terms of Service.

        ---------------------------------

      • Jim Holland
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
          I'm using (Meade)Envisage V5.85. My intent is to use either or LPI/DSI for
          guiding. I'm using a 4 port USB Hub to connected to one of the USB ports on
          the laptop and the USB cables from the HUB to the LPI and DSI. I'm using the
          other laptop usb port to connect to autostar usb cable to keyspan usb/serial
          adapter to autostar.

          regards

          Jim Holland
          30.22N 84.22W

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
            JIm,
            I use the Toucam for guiding, or trying to guide. It
            works if I use the LX90 to guide an 80mm piggy backed
            scope, but I use the APM909 module to help. This sends
            signals to the mount quicker than the Autostar can.
            You may need thsi also.
            I'm sure someone will get back to you about the
            LPI/DSI. Try putting in autoguiding as a search in the
            LX90 group, and you should find some advice.
[...]

            Yahoo!
            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

            Astronomy magazine

            c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            Yahoo! Terms of
            Service.

            Meade
            lx90 Astronomy
            software Astronomy
            magazine

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

          • Jim Holland
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2006
              Tom,

              I have not searched yet, and after playing with Envisage autoguiding in the
              daylight it may well be operator error as to why
              the tracking features are greyed out and not available.

              Could you describe your connections to/from the APM909 as far as the CCD
              jack is concerned? also any software setting.

              regards

              Jim Holland