[lx90] Laser Pointers

  • Peter Langsford
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      Hi,

      I've heard that laser pointers can act as guide scopes. Do these have to
      be of any particular colour? Will a red laser suffice?

      Has anyone had experience in using them for this purpose?

      All the best,
      Pete

      Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
      Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E
    • P. Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        Finderscopes, but not guide scopes.

        Dr. Clay
        --------------------
        Arkansas Sky Observatories
        Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
        Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
        Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
        Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
        http://www.arksky.org/

      • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
          Pete;

          The laser can be used as a pointer but the red laser will not produce a
          visible beam except when it's foggy outside and then you'll not see anything
          anyway.

          The green laser will make a good pointer but you need to be very, very
          careful where you shine it.

          In a message dated 01-Jan-06 2:45:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,
          lansma@... writes:

          Hi,

          I've heard that laser pointers can act as guide scopes. Do these have to
          be of any particular colour? Will a red laser suffice?

          Has anyone had experience in using them for this purpose?

          All the best,
          Pete

        • Simon Morgan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
            I have been thinking of using a laser as a pointer/finder (not guider) and
            recently saw an advert for a suitable bracket
            (http://www.lumicon.com/lpb.htm ).

            A red laser will be unsuitable – you just cannot see the beam. I have a
            hand-held green laser which is fantastic. Warning note… I believe there are
            moves to make these illegal and there are stories of people getting into
            deep trouble by pointing the lasers at aircraft. Already the legal power is
            quite limited though there are some well-known ways you can boost the power
            (but this would be illegal).

            Simon Morgan

            _____

            I've heard that laser pointers can act as guide scopes. Do these have to
            be of any particular colour? Will a red laser suffice?

            Has anyone had experience in using them for this purpose?

            All the best,
            Pete

            Meade
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Meade+lx90&w1=Meade+lx90&w2=Astronomy+s
            oftware&w3=Astronomy+magazine&c=3&s=64&.sig=uN_Ptr_bQiwlqQ4szMRwoQ> lx90

            Astronomy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+software&w1=Meade+lx90&w2=Ast
            ronomy+software&w3=Astronomy+magazine&c=3&s=64&.sig=BnsEjgq54ndFlMMeGrbcLA>
            software

            Astronomy
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Astronomy+magazine&w1=Meade+lx90&w2=Ast
            ronomy+software&w3=Astronomy+magazine&c=3&s=64&.sig=1zDBQKp1n_3Ygqm2ZBvxww>
            magazine

            _____

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            the web.

            _____

          • Peter
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
              Yes, thanks Dr Clay. I did mean finder scopes. It was a late night...

              Pete.

              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@t...> wrote:

              > Finderscopes, but not guide scopes.
              >
              > Dr. Clay
              > --------------------
              > Arkansas Sky Observatories
              > Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
              > Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
              > Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
              > Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
              > http://www.arksky.org/

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
                Yes, thanks Dr Clay. I did mean finder scopes. It was a late night...

                Pete.

                --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "P. Clay Sherrod" <drclay@t...> wrote:

                > Finderscopes, but not guide scopes.
                >
                > Dr. Clay
                > --------------------
                > Arkansas Sky Observatories
                > Harvard MPC H41 (Petit Jean Mountain)
                > Harvard MPC H45 (Petit Jean Mountain South)
                > Harvard MPC H43 (Conway)
                > Harvard MPC H44 (Cascade Mountain)
                > http://www.arksky.org/

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Thanks Alan.

                  For sale on eBay are both red and green lasers. I guess the red ones
                  are for attaching to rifles, like in the movies.

                  Ok, I'll hunt down a green one.

                  Pete.

                  --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, AstronomyW4WMM@a... wrote:

                  > Pete;
                  >
                  > The laser can be used as a pointer but the red laser will not
                  produce a
                  > visible beam except when it's foggy outside and then you'll not
                  see anything
                  > anyway.
                  >
                  > The green laser will make a good pointer but you need to be very,
                  very
                  > careful where you shine it.
                  >
                  > In a message dated 01-Jan-06 2:45:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,
                  > lansma@b... writes:
                  >
                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I've heard that laser pointers can act as guide scopes. Do these
                  have to
                  > be of any particular colour? Will a red laser suffice?
                  >
                  > Has anyone had experience in using them for this purpose?
                  >
                  > All the best,
                  > Pete

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Thanks Simon,

                    It's not clear from the description as to how that laser pointer
                    bracket fits to the scope. But it's worth a closer look.

                    Thanks for the tips.

                    Pete.

                    --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Simon Morgan" <s.morgan@s...> wrote:

                    > I have been thinking of using a laser as a pointer/finder (not
                    guider) and
                    > recently saw an advert for a suitable bracket
                    > (http://www.lumicon.com/lpb.htm ).
                    >
                    > A red laser will be unsuitable – you just cannot see the beam. I
                    have a
                    > hand-held green laser which is fantastic. Warning note… I believe
                    there are
                    > moves to make these illegal and there are stories of people
                    getting into
                    > deep trouble by pointing the lasers at aircraft. Already the legal
                    power is
                    > quite limited though there are some well-known ways you can boost
                    the power
                    > (but this would be illegal).
                    >

                    > Simon Morgan
                    >

                    > _____