RE: [lx90] Re: Power Box for Autostar

  • Joseph T. Tannenbaum
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
      Dick, I have a small etx70EC and STILL use the power box.

      I love it.

      Joe

    • Joseph T. Tannenbaum
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
        you do use the cigarette plug that you use for the scope.
        Maybe they gave you the wrong power jack? Handbox goes in
        power box, #505 cable from PC to handbox, then you are
        all set.

      • dingus4u
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
          Thanks again for the reply Jo. So i will get a different power jack
          and wire than in. As for the wiring in the pics, is that the way im
          supposed to do it? Should I cut all the wires that are being used
          and leave just the outside 2? My luck, i get the wrong power jack!
          Thanks again, Tom

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph T. Tannenbaum" <jtannenba@y...>
          wrote:
          > you do use the cigarette plug that you use for the scope.
          > Maybe they gave you the wrong power jack? Handbox goes in
          > power box, #505 cable from PC to handbox, then you are
          > all set.

          8/31/2005
        • dingus4u
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
            Oh, one more thing....Does anybody know the size of the power jack I
            need for the cigarette lighter cord? I want to be sure and get it
            right this time. Maybe a radio shack product number or something?
            Thanks for any help guys...
          • Wayne Reed
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
              Tom,

              You apppear to have done fine so far. You have several options for
              power. The plans you used probably assume you will use a Radio Shack
              power adapter that puts 12 VDC on a plug that fits the connector that
              you used. You can buy that adapter, make or buy a cable with the
              male plug that fits your connector on a cord with a cigarette lighter
              plug on the other end, or remove the socket you used and replace it
              with a lighter socket cord to go directly in a 12V battery. The
              second approach is the one I took.

              The only problem is making sure you have the polarity correct. That
              is what fries Autostars. If you don't have a meter, Radio Shack
              sells some very cheap meters that will do the job, or take it to
              someone with a meter who knows how to use it to check the polarity.
              If you don't check it before plugging in the Autostar, you have a 50%
              chance of ruining another Autostar.

              Wayne Reed

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                Wayne, thanks for the info... About polarity, How do i make sure i have
                it right w/ a meter? I assume you are talking about the
                positive/negative on the power jack right? THis is what I must have
                done last time that fried my autostar. I want to make sure i get this
                right... Thanks again, Tom
              • dingus4u
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Okay, thought I would update you guys as to the progress of OPERATION
                  POWER BOX. Well, the operation is officially "called off". I went to
                  radio shack, found a jack that works with the cigarette lighter to
                  power my lx90. Rewired it to fit, hooked up to power supply, attached
                  autostar and NOTHING!! I just about threw the entire project out the
                  window. Anyway, it doesnt turn on, the cord is good, the battery is
                  charged, the autostar still works, just not w/ the power box i made.
                  Not sure why, just an act of God I guess. Anyway, thanks again for
                  all the help and tips, unfortunately I am quitting. hopefully a
                  company out there comes up with one that will work for those of us who
                  have tried and FAILED.....
                • Joseph T. Tannenbaum
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                    It looks fine. Colors can be different between jacks you want to
                    be sure to use pins one and eight.
                    Joe

                  • Joseph T. Tannenbaum
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                      Don't give up. Have a friend who is ok with electricity recheck your
                      wiring. Make sure you used the correct pins on the power jack. ( one
                      is part of a switch. You want the one for the center pin and one for
                      the shell)

                      Where are you?

                      Joe

                    • dingus4u
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 1, 2005
                        I live in Iowa.. To be honest, I got help from somebody
                        who "supposedly" knows electronics (no luck). I dont get it, i can
                        install a cd player in a car, but cant make a power box. Thanks

                        wrote:
                        > Don't give up. Have a friend who is ok with electricity recheck
                        your
                        > wiring. Make sure you used the correct pins on the power jack. (
                        one
                        > is part of a switch. You want the one for the center pin and one
                        for
                        > the shell)
                        >
                        > Where are you?
                        >
                        > Joe