dsi pro or canon rebel?

  • camenidis
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi all,
      I am thinking of buying a ccd imager for my LX90.So, I would like to
      hear your opinion.Which camera is better, whithout thinking the amount
      of money?

      Regards
      Kamenidis Ifikratis
    • Peter Langsford
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
        Hi Kamenidis,

        The two are quite different cameras. The Canon 300D or Rebel as it is
        known has in fact a CMOS sensor. I have never used the Meade astro
        camera but I own the 300D and I am thoroughly impressed with it. It has
        low noise readout, a wonderfully wide field of view, and the versatility
        of being an excellent day time camera.

        It really depends I think on what you plan to image if budget is not a
        consideration. The Meade camera has a tiny CCD chip and will capture
        only a very small part of the sky. Were you to take images of the moon,
        you would have to generate a mosaic. I can fit the entire full moon in
        the FOV of the 300D with an f/6.3 focal reducer. I don't know anything
        about the light sensitivity of the Meade camera, and someone else will
        have to fill in the gaps here.

        All of the images on my website were taken with the 300D except for the
        planet images, which were taken with a webcam.

        All the best,
        Pete

        Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
        Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E

      • googong@ozemail.com.au
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2005
          Hi Kamenidis,

          If you go back through the archives of this yahoogroup this has been
          answered at least once there.

          > Hi all,
          >I am thinking of buying a ccd imager for my LX90.So, I would like to
          >hear your opinion.Which camera is better, whithout thinking the amount
          >of money?
          >
          > Regards
          >Kamenidis Ifikratis

          Bill Alford,