North?

  • ROBIN LAURYSSEN-MITCHELL
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
      This may be a dumb question but ... should Magnetic or True North be used when aligning the OTA?

      A second rather less important question is: Is the top of the OTA a good place to put a compass? Between the forks does not appear (to me) to be a good place because of the magnetic fields from the batteries and motors.

      Regards
      Robin

    • Peter Langsford
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hi Robin,

        > This may be a dumb question but ... should Magnetic or True North be
        > used when aligning the OTA?

        You should use true North.

        > A second rather less important question is: Is the top of the OTA a
        > good place to put a compass? Between the forks does not appear (to
        > me) to be a good place because of the magnetic fields from the
        > batteries and motors.

        Probably not a good idea, but check to see if your compass moves when
        you place it there.

        Your scope doesn't have to be perfectly aligned with true North;
        thankfully your 2-star alignment will sort that out for you. It is much
        more critical if you are polar aligned and using a wedge.

        All the best,
        Pete

        Home Page: http://users.bigpond.com/lansma
        Location: 42°53'S; 147°19'E
      • Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2004
          Here's what I did. I have a set place where I set my scope so this may not
          work for you. I placed a pole several yards away that is exactly North of
          my viewing location. I just line up the two screws in the top of the OTA
          with the pole. Eyeball is close enough for this if you have good eyeballs.
          If you want to be more accurate set the pole a hundred yards away and use
          the finder to align the OTA. You can also align on Polaris, it's close
          enough to true North to give you accurate settings. Pete's right, the
          startup alignment process will correct for any errors unless they are really
          gross errors on your part.

          Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
          29º14'52"N 98º14'50"W
          Eagle Creek Observatory
          http://www.eaglecreekobservatory.org

          > This may be a dumb question but ... should Magnetic or True North be
          > used when aligning the OTA?

          You should use true North.