Re: [lx90] Re: DEC failure

  • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
      I just wonder if the Motor Control Card is going bad because of something
      wrong with the motor but Meade doesn't catch the bad motor instead the keep
      replacing the Motor Control Card?

      I know it's a wild shot in the dark but it's possible. If you open the fork
      before returning it to Meade, use a marker of some kind and put a "secret"
      mark on each part; the motor & board. That way when it comes back you can see
      what got replaced, if anything.

      It's not impossible that they will fix a card and put it back in but it would
      be unusual as they usually swap cards and let someone else do the bench work.

      Alan

      In a message dated 01-Aug-04 12:53:26 AM Central Daylight Time,
      faluiz44@... writes:
      As Meade was able to successfully repair the fault, albeit
      temporarily, and the failures were sudden and permanent, I tend to
      doubt a cable or connector problem. However, I will follow your
      suggestion to swap cables before I call Meade on Monday. I have tried
      a friend's Autostar to no avail.

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
        O brother. I have the same sort of problem. I just got my scope back from
        Meade and have to send it right back. The unit worked for two days and on the
        third day (when I had companyn over) It failed to align. I tried resetting,
        recalibrating and retraining. The retraining of the DEC fails because the the
        scope fails to respond to the up arrow. I tried reversing the up/down arrow
        but that didn't work. I thought I might have an Autostar problem so I knew
        where I could get one for $110. Well, I needed a backup anyway but It was a
        bust. Today I pack the scope.
        In a side note: the first time I sent my scope in I asked for an
        explation of what the problem was and what was done to correct it. I want to make
        certain that I don't screw up my scope inadvertantly. The customer service
        people told me I had to write a letter to the Dept head in order to get that
        info. I sent the letter but never got a reply. This time I will send another
        letter but I think I'm going to send it registered mail and make whoever is in
        charge sign for it. I really want to know

      • faluiz44
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
          Thanks for your reply.

          You're on the same track that I am. It is quite likely that Meade has
          repaired the effect and not the cause. A motor that somehow overloads
          the driver on the board is a possibility. It is frustrating that the
          support person answering the phone cannot or will not look up the
          repair record. I will try to speak with a supervisorial person
          tomorrow.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
            Yes, it is frustrating. It shouldn't be difficult to get the repair
            record as their computers are networked. The guy on the phone was
            able to check my extra warranty coverage with no delay. I suspect
            they don't want to divulge problem areas or trends.

          • Uriel235@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
              After going to Jan's website and seeing the breakdown of the right fork arm,
              I can see how easily a plug can be badly connected or outright disconnected
              from the power board. This may not seem entirely relevant but last week I
              inherited a problem from another tech concerning a type of icemaker that I was not
              familiar with (Flaker). Icemakers are very finicky devices and the electronic
              controls can be a pain to diagnose. I was getting a motor fault which
              resulted in a safety stop. The unit might run for hours sometimes and minutes
              another time. I timed the auger motor and it was right on. I couldn't tell if the
              hall effect sensor or the control board had developed the intermittent fault
              so I replaced the sensor because it was cheaper. The unit failed again. I
              then took some abrasive action on the probe to control board connections and it
              worked. Appanently there was some finishing overspray on the male plug
              connections during manufacture. Occam's razor. I paid Meade good money to fix this
              once and I want them to make good on the deal but I must say that in the
              future I'm going to see what I can do first. I wish you didn't have to dig so
              deep into the gears just to get at the board. I'd bet real money it's a lame
              connection thing.

              Check out Jan's site. It's really cool and packed with very useful info. I
              confess, just the thought of dinking around with this device is scary and I'm
              a guy who generally believes I can fix anything. Messing with the scope
              without training is risky.

              http://hometown.aol.com/kewtasheck/dec.html

            • AstronomyW4WMM@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                Good Luck.

                I heard many folks that have tried to get that information but I don't
                remember if anyone succeeded. Maybe you should include a letter taped to the OTA
                explaining the situation to the next guy so maybe he'll / she'll look deeper
                into the problem.

                Contacting the supervisor would be high on my list too. I would express to
                them my frustration in having to return the scope AGAIN and make sure THEY pay
                for shipping both ways since they didn't fix it right the first time.

                Alan