Re: Newbie

  • bradgregley10
    Message 1 of 67 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi Millard,

      Keep the box it is handy for carting the scope around if you want to
      go to a dark sky site.

      I think also a plastic bin from K Mart could be good as some have
      little wheels and a cover and you could line it with foam or reuse
      the foam in the box the scope comes in.

      I have found so far the main thing is the eyepieces - what to get.
      I have just been through all this (not quite through it actually!).

      My experience so far is a 19mm Panoptic is fantastic with this scope
      especially with a Televue 2X barlow.I practically use nothing else
      and find it very engaging. You can put the barlow between the
      diagonal and the scope for approx 3X boost so the one eyepiece plus a
      barlow covers a lot of the range.In retrospect I think a 24mm
      Panoptic may even have been better.

      A nagler would be nice or a wide angle eyepiece.
      Something around the 12- 13mm range I suspect and then perhaps a low
      power eyepiece like a 35mm Panoptic may complete your range.

      Of course these are very expensive so check out Astromart if you are
      not aware of it as a source of second hand eyepieces for a small
      discount over new.

      Also a stool or a height adjusting chair of some sort. I went hunting
      for one yesterday and I ended up buying a small step ladder with big
      steps that are just perfect for the height of the 2 main angle ranges
      the scope seems to move in. I found a bar stool with a gas lift that
      looked perfect but it was $119.
      A chair will make your long viewing sessions more enjoyable as you
      can linger on an object longer and enjoy it rather than chiropracting
      your spine getting that image!!(you do hear a lot of clicks in your
      back though so I suppose even that is somewhat therapeutic!)

      Cheers,

      Greg.
    • Craig
      Message 67 of 67 , Aug 2, 2010
        The Meade website says the OTA+fork is 60 pounds. The tripod is 19 pounds.

        I can lift the whole assembly and move it if necessary, but I would never try to carry it that way.

        The OTA+fork is fairly non-ergonomic to carry around. If it is not out the question, I would budget or build a wheeled case. Find something about that weight that tends to shift and try carrying out to your car, front yard, or whatever will be your most common use case.

        As far as the difference in view, I find it to be substantial over my 10" dob. But I am not sure even at that I would prefer to lug it into my yard over an 8" scope that was substantially smaller/lighter.

        Craig