Re: [lx90] Astrophotography

  • ian
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi,

      Have a look at the Scopetronix "Adaptaview" system, it may be what
      you're after.

      http://www.scopetronix.com/ select the menu item on the left for
      Digital Camera Adapters and then scroll down and select
      "Other ScopeTronix Digital Camera Adapters"

      Ian

      At [Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:41:48 -0000]
      "dbxsoundworkz" <dbxsoundworkz@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys, what do I get for an eyepiece adapter if I have a Nagler
      > type 5 16mm and a olympus c-3000...the nag apparently does NOT have
      > any threads... what do i do for afocal astropicking with the nag? plz
      > help! J.D

    • Steve Bradley
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 1, 2004
        All this talk of astrophotgraphy has prompted me to get the astro side of my web site up and running.
        Not a lot there yet, Just a few of my first efforts at the moon and a few links. Ideas for improvements appreciated. If these clouds ever leave i'll try my hand at planets.
        here's hopeing for clear sky's.

        Steve Bradley

        www.bikeland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
        LAT 51-22-28 N LONG 00-31-05 E

        ---

      • ocw_wb
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 2, 2004
          Maybe it's me, but your pictures aren't there.

          Matt

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bradley" <bikeland@b...> wrote:
          > All this talk of astrophotgraphy has prompted me to get the
          astro side of my web site up and running.
          > Not a lot there yet, Just a few of my first efforts at the moon
          and a few links. Ideas for improvements appreciated. If these clouds
          ever leave i'll try my hand at planets.
          > here's hopeing for clear sky's.
          >
          > Steve Bradley
          >
          > www.bikeland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
          > LAT 51-22-28 N LONG 00-31-05 E
          >

          > ---

        • Steve Bradley
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 3, 2004
            ocw_wb wrote:
            > Maybe it's me, but your pictures aren't there.
            >
            > Matt
            >
            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bradley" <bikeland@b...> wrote:
            >> All this talk of astrophotgraphy has prompted me to get the
            > astro side of my web site up and running.
            >> No It's not you, It''s me I forgot to remove the old page. Click on
            index the new gallery is there, I'll sort it at the next update. Sorry :-( .
            >> Steve Bradley
            >>
            >> www.bikeland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
            >> LAT 51-22-28 N LONG 00-31-05 E
            >>

            >> ---

            Steve Bradley

            www.bikeland.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
            LAT 51-22-28 N LONG 00-31-05 E

            ---
          • occmedpac2006
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 28, 2006
              Hello group,

              I have not purchased a scope as of yet, but I am chomping at the bit.
              I think I have decided on an Lx90 8inch. My question is this: Can I
              take the kind of great pictures of galaxies and nebula that I have
              seen posted (btw, you guys take great shots) with a Meade DSI II or do
              I have to spend $$$$$ to get them. The photos in the albums don't
              state what type of camera or scope that was used to take them most of
              the time. I just don't want to be disappointed with the results. Any
              and all help is greatly appreciated.
            • George Erhart
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 28, 2006
                There is a DSI group (Meade_DSI that would probably be a better place to ask this question. My answer is, yes, an 8" LX-90 can be used for Astrophotography. Be prepared for a longer learning curve than you might expect. I do not own a DSI, but for the price, it is a reasonable introduction to CCD astrophotography.

                George Erhart
                Loveland, CO

                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 28, 2006
                  Hi and welcome to the group.
                  I am not the best person to advise you on this, since my experience is small and my results so far are modest.
                  However, I am quite sure that the stunning pictures that members post on this group are not the result of using this, or that, piece of kit; a wedge, a DSI 2, or auto-guiding systems, etc.
                  Rather, they are the results of skills developed over long periods time; of trial and error and often of a painstaking committment to perfection.
                  Anyone can take mediocre images; ask me, I've done it.
                  You will do it, if you want to, but by patience and endless experiment, rather than by investment.
                  Have fun developing your skills and show us your results as you progress.
                  Good luck,
                  Al Greaves
                  51N 000E UK

                  occmedpac2006 <erpac911@...> wrote:
                  Hello group,

                  I have not purchased a scope as of yet, but I am chomping at the bit.
                  I think I have decided on an Lx90 8inch. My question is this: Can I
                  take the kind of great pictures of galaxies and nebula that I have
                  seen posted (btw, you guys take great shots) with a Meade DSI II or do
                  I have to spend $$$$$ to get them. The photos in the albums don't
                  state what type of camera or scope that was used to take them most of
                  the time. I just don't want to be disappointed with the results. Any
                  and all help is greatly appreciated.

                • Kel
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 28, 2006
                    Hello,

                    Yes, you can take excellent shots with just an 8" LX90 and a DSI Pro
                    II, but I'd throw in a focal reducer like Meade's f6.3 or f3.3, or
                    something like an Antares 0.5x to make it all work. Possibly an anti-
                    skyglow filter like a Hutech IDAS, if you've got obnoxiously light-
                    polluter skies. But that's it.

                    Regarding the focal reducer, the DSI has a relatively small chip, and
                    with smaller chips only a portion of the telescope's projected image
                    will hit the chip and be captured - creates a magnification element
                    that for an LX90 at f10 will bring you a little *too* up close and
                    personal to a lot of DSO's.

                    Plus, the 8" LX90 also has a smaller main gear (4") than its LX90 big
                    brothers or the LX200 line, so it has more apparent periodic error
                    (tracking error). This is another argument for having a field reducer,
                    as the lower magnification makes the image more tolerant of periodic
                    error. I don't image much at f10 with my DSI Pro II, as it's hard to
                    get the scope to track well enough at that focal ratio (even with
                    guiding and PEC).

                    Here's a link to the website of one of the Meade_DSI group's members,
                    who until recently was imaging in Alt-Az with short exposures and
                    cranking out *very nice* images IMHO:
                    http://www.muffycat.org/astronomy/messier/index.htm
                    Some of these are very deep stacks of 10 second exposures! (He's now
                    using a wedge, and continuing to image impressively.)

                    Here's another place to check out DSI images, though not necessarily
                    through LX90's. You'll see details listed under most pics, so you can
                    distinguish the high $$ from the simple setups:
                    http://autostarsuite.net/photos/default.aspx

                    Like the other poster stated, great images are a product of the
                    photographer's skill first and foremost. To answer your question, I do
                    not think you will be limited by the equipment (basic 8" LX90 and DSI
                    Pro II, and a focal reducer) in taking some nice images!

                    Also, as the other poster stated, the DSI has a bit of a learning
                    curve, but the Meade_DSI group is extremely informative, and answers
                    come forth quite readily.

                    Kel

                    --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "occmedpac2006" <erpac911@...> wrote:

                    > Hello group,
                    >
                    > I have not purchased a scope as of yet, but I am chomping at the
                    bit.
                    > I think I have decided on an Lx90 8inch. My question is this: Can I
                    > take the kind of great pictures of galaxies and nebula that I have
                    > seen posted (btw, you guys take great shots) with a Meade DSI II or
                    do
                    > I have to spend $$$$$ to get them. The photos in the albums don't
                    > state what type of camera or scope that was used to take them most of
                    > the time. I just don't want to be disappointed with the results. Any
                    > and all help is greatly appreciated.

                  • Martin Burri
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 30, 2006
                      Hi,

                      unfortunately there is no one size fits all - may be you want to
                      check Ron's CCD calculator to see what you are able to get in terms
                      of size using an 8" scope and a certain CCD cam.
                      <http://www.wodaski.com/wodaski/pick_a_camera.htm> just get the free
                      calculator it comes with a lot of example images.
                      The DSI Pro seems to have the same ccd size as the MX7-C.

                      Now for the 'great' images - as already mentioned there is quite a
                      learing curve to be prepared for. I am been able to guide my 'old'
                      LX90 on a Meade wedge up to 300sec may be more with a webcam alas I
                      did not tried it at prime focus but with a 400mm scope sitting on top.
                      Without any guiding and correction with a reducer of 0.5 or so I can
                      reach 30sec where 60% of the images are ok. Sometimes even 50 sec but
                      then only 25% of the images are ok.
                      30-50 sec gives most Messiers with a homebrew modified webcam - the
                      DSI Pro should do better.

                      Now if you expect the fancy hubble type show off images - better
                      prepare for $$$ and some years to achieve it.

                      More realistic type of imagery can be seen here :-)
                      <http://www.burri-web.org/bm98/gallery/gallery.htm>
                      all done either with an LX90 or a camera lens or scope sitting on the
                      LX90. The DSI Pro ccd is the size of the one of my Artemis cam.

                      Hope it helps..

                      Martin