Re: LX90 autoguiding sample

  • James
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@a...> wrote:
      > Hi Craig,
      >
      > I'm beginning to see SAC8 images appearing on various groups and I
      am
      > impressed with them. I saw a single 20 second alt-az image the
      other
      > day of the Eagle nebula taken with an 8-inch SCT and SAC8 and it
      was
      > good.

      Hi Dennis. I've been impressed with your short exposure/stacking
      techniques and have been considering getting into this method
      myself. The SAC8 seems to be in my price range, and therefore, I am
      considering beginning there. My question is: in your opinion (or
      others more familiar with the SAC8)is polar alignment necessary with
      this camera or would alt/az be sufficient for short exposure/stacked
      astrophotography? I don't know if I could afford the CCD imager and
      the wedge together at this time as I'd like a delux wedge, but would
      like to get the camera if it would be sufficient in Alt/Az.

      Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
      James
    • James
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
        I changed the subject line so that it would be clear that my original
        reply was a question that I had re: Alt/Az and the SAC8 and that I
        was not trying to ad a response to the original post. Sorry for the
        confusion (if any).

        James

        --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:
        > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@a...> wrote:
        > > Hi Craig,
        > >
        > > I'm beginning to see SAC8 images appearing on various groups and
        > am
        > > impressed with them. I saw a single 20 second alt-az image the
        > other
        > > day of the Eagle nebula taken with an 8-inch SCT and SAC8 and it
        > was
        > > good.
        > >

        > Hi Dennis. I've been impressed with your short exposure/stacking
        > techniques and have been considering getting into this method
        > myself. The SAC8 seems to be in my price range, and therefore, I
        am
        > considering beginning there. My question is: in your opinion (or
        > others more familiar with the SAC8)is polar alignment necessary
        with
        > this camera or would alt/az be sufficient for short
        exposure/stacked
        > astrophotography? I don't know if I could afford the CCD imager
        and
        > the wedge together at this time as I'd like a delux wedge, but
        would
        > like to get the camera if it would be sufficient in Alt/Az.
        >
        > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
        > James
      • celstark
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
          People have done a lot of good work in Alt/Az mode. How long you
          can image before you start to see rotation in a single frame will
          depend on the focal length you run at and the pixel size. You'll
          need stacking software that can take out the rotation (plenty out
          there that will).

          The SAC8 has a real advantage here over many in that the amount of
          gain you can dial in on the CCD amp is pretty incredible. Yes, it
          adds more noise, but it's noise that averaging can take out. I'm
          just starting to get to explore how to best use this, but so far,
          it's been a real boon, letting the exposures go way down. On
          the "Misc Tech" pages, I show M13 in 0.5s.

          Craig

          --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:
          > I changed the subject line so that it would be clear that my
          original
          > reply was a question that I had re: Alt/Az and the SAC8 and that I
          > was not trying to ad a response to the original post. Sorry for
          the
          > confusion (if any).
          >
          > James
          >
          > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:
          > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@a...>
          wrote:
          > > > Hi Craig,
          > > >
          > > > I'm beginning to see SAC8 images appearing on various groups
          and
          > > am
          > > > impressed with them. I saw a single 20 second alt-az image the
          > > other
          > > > day of the Eagle nebula taken with an 8-inch SCT and SAC8 and
          it
          > > was
          > > > good.
          > > >

          > > Hi Dennis. I've been impressed with your short
          exposure/stacking
          > > techniques and have been considering getting into this method
          > > myself. The SAC8 seems to be in my price range, and therefore,
          > am
          > > considering beginning there. My question is: in your opinion
          (or
          > > others more familiar with the SAC8)is polar alignment necessary
          > with
          > > this camera or would alt/az be sufficient for short
          > exposure/stacked
          > > astrophotography? I don't know if I could afford the CCD imager
          > and
          > > the wedge together at this time as I'd like a delux wedge, but
          > would
          > > like to get the camera if it would be sufficient in Alt/Az.
          > >
          > > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
          > > James
        • Ray Porter
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
            The SAC8 may be within my price range too (once I get my observatory built).
            I see SAC has a filter wheel for it. Has anyone done any tri-color imaging
            with it yet?

            Ray Porter

            > People have done a lot of good work in Alt/Az mode. How long you
            > can image before you start to see rotation in a single frame will
            > depend on the focal length you run at and the pixel size. You'll
            > need stacking software that can take out the rotation (plenty out
            > there that will).
            >
            > The SAC8 has a real advantage here over many in that the amount of
            > gain you can dial in on the CCD amp is pretty incredible. Yes, it
            > adds more noise, but it's noise that averaging can take out. I'm
            > just starting to get to explore how to best use this, but so far,
            > it's been a real boon, letting the exposures go way down. On
            > the "Misc Tech" pages, I show M13 in 0.5s.
            >
            > Craig
            >
            > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:
            > > I changed the subject line so that it would be clear that my
            > original
            > > reply was a question that I had re: Alt/Az and the SAC8 and that I
            > > was not trying to ad a response to the original post. Sorry for
            > the
            > > confusion (if any).
            > >
            > > James
            > >
            > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:
            > > > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Persyk" <dpersyk@a...>

            > and
            > > > am
            > > > other
            > it
            > > > was
            > > > >

            > > > Hi Dennis. I've been impressed with your short
            > exposure/stacking
            > > > techniques and have been considering getting into this method
            > > > myself. The SAC8 seems to be in my price range, and therefore,
            > > am
            > > > considering beginning there. My question is: in your opinion
            > (or
            > > > others more familiar with the SAC8)is polar alignment necessary
            > > with
            > > > this camera or would alt/az be sufficient for short
            > > exposure/stacked
            > > > astrophotography? I don't know if I could afford the CCD imager
            > > and
            > > > the wedge together at this time as I'd like a delux wedge, but
            > > would
            > > > like to get the camera if it would be sufficient in Alt/Az.
            > > >
            > > > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
            > > > James

          • celstark
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
              --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "Ray Porter" <lrporter@m...> wrote:
              > The SAC8 may be within my price range too (once I get my
              observatory built).
              > I see SAC has a filter wheel for it. Has anyone done any tri-color
              imaging
              > with it yet?

              Yes. Tom Gwilym has been the first to take the plunge. It's been
              his first shot at tricolor and the first shot with the SAC8. Even
              without those firsts, his results have been turning out very nice.
              You can see his stuff on the SACImaging Yahoo Group, in the Photos
              section ("Tom's Images"). I'm debating as to whether to take the
              plunge now or whether to keep working out the more technical issues
              of how to best use it in B&W.

              The SAC8 is a new beast, and there are very few that are actually in
              people's hands now (I've got one of the 2nd run, which was 60 units --
              the first run was 15 or so). Right now, they're still running a
              good sized backlog with the wait time being about 2 months. They're
              also updating the camera, fixing a few minor things, and generally
              working out the assembly-line kinks and the "wow, our small business
              just got a lot bigger" kinks. Nobody will go through that perfectly,
              but the SAC crew are doing a fine job.

              It's a very nice product that, for DSOs, has more bang for the buck
              than anything out there. In many ways, it reminds me of a '70s
              muscle car. There are aspects of it that are a bit less refined
              (don't get me wrong, it's still a professional looking product, but
              it does cost a lot less than your SBIGs), but man, does it have the
              horsepower.

              Craig
            • Ray Porter
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                Thanks, Craig. I'll take a look at the Yahoo groups stuff.

                Ray

                > > The SAC8 may be within my price range too (once I get my
                > observatory built).
                > > I see SAC has a filter wheel for it. Has anyone done any tri-color
                > imaging
                > > with it yet?
                >
                > Yes. Tom Gwilym has been the first to take the plunge. It's been
                > his first shot at tricolor and the first shot with the SAC8. Even
                > without those firsts, his results have been turning out very nice.
                > You can see his stuff on the SACImaging Yahoo Group, in the Photos
                > section ("Tom's Images"). I'm debating as to whether to take the
                > plunge now or whether to keep working out the more technical issues
                > of how to best use it in B&W.
                >
                > The SAC8 is a new beast, and there are very few that are actually in
                > people's hands now (I've got one of the 2nd run, which was 60 units --
                > the first run was 15 or so). Right now, they're still running a
                > good sized backlog with the wait time being about 2 months. They're
                > also updating the camera, fixing a few minor things, and generally
                > working out the assembly-line kinks and the "wow, our small business
                > just got a lot bigger" kinks. Nobody will go through that perfectly,
                > but the SAC crew are doing a fine job.
                >
                > It's a very nice product that, for DSOs, has more bang for the buck
                > than anything out there. In many ways, it reminds me of a '70s
                > muscle car. There are aspects of it that are a bit less refined
                > (don't get me wrong, it's still a professional looking product, but
                > it does cost a lot less than your SBIGs), but man, does it have the
                > horsepower.
                >
                > Craig

              • Dennis Persyk
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                  Hi James,

                  I have only done a bit of "long exposure" (10-20 second) imaging in
                  alt-az so I am not very knowledgeable on the subject. I would
                  certainly give it a try, and adjust the exposure times so that there
                  is no trailing in the single frames. Then you just need more
                  sophisticated stacking software to take care of the rotation along
                  with the translation.

                  I found my LX-90 was much less "observer friendly" with the wedge
                  than with the alt-az mount. Maybe that's why I concentrated more on
                  imaging than observing. And now my GEM is the ultimate in visual
                  observing hassles!

                  Clear skies,

                  Dennis Persyk
                  Igloo Observatory Home Page http://dpersyk.home.att.net
                  Hampshire, IL

                  --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "James" <trailcrawler@s...> wrote:

                  > Hi Dennis. I've been impressed with your short exposure/stacking
                  > techniques and have been considering getting into this method
                  > myself. The SAC8 seems to be in my price range, and therefore, I
                  am considering beginning there. My question is: in your opinion
                  (or others more familiar with the SAC8)is polar alignment necessary
                  with this camera or would alt/az be sufficient for
                  shortxposure/stacked astrophotography? I don't know if I could
                  afford the CCD imager and the wedge together at this time as I'd
                  like a delux wedge, but would like to get the camera if it would be
                  sufficient in Alt/Az.

                  > Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
                  > James
                • James
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Thanks Dennis. I appreciate your insight.