Re: 500 dollars

  • jafdem2002 <afdemj@cox.net>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2003
      Cost of ownership really amounts to the cost you pay, less the used
      price sometime down the road when you move up or out. I'd suggest
      that based upon that criteria, the net cost of the 200 might even
      be a bit less than the 90.

      And ask yourself this question: If you were manufacturing optics and
      some came off the production line to be 90's and some 200's, and you
      earned more on the 200, which line would get the glass that tested
      the best? I'll bet dollars to donuts it's the 200 line.

      I've owned both, and the 200 is definately more solid, less
      vibration prone, points more accurately, and has substantially
      better operating characteristics. It's more of a pleasure to use.

      Don't get me wrong, the 90 is a FABULous scope for the money. But
      the 200 offers a lot of additional value for 500 more.

      --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, "royce <royceno371@y...>"
      <royceno371@y...> wrote:
      > --- In lx90@yahoogroups.com, spam@a... wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Is the 8" LX200 GPS worth the 500 bucks over the LX 90?
      > > >

      > > A wholly subjective question. :)
      > >
      > > Depends a lot on what you plan to DO with the scope (and whether
      > or not
      > > you've already got a GPS).
      > >
      > > The LX-200 is pretty much the premiere scope for astrophotography
      > > because of its ability to adjust for periodic drive error. The
      GPS
      > and
      > > autolevel are mighty handy as well for setting the scope up for
      > > alignment.
      > >
      > > If you plan on dropping another few grand on a good CCD, and many
      > > hundreds on other sundry items like wedges, eyepieces, motion-
      > dampening
      > > pads, dew accessories, etc, etc, etc. then what's another $500
      > make
      > > sure you have top of the line drives for your astrophotograhy?
      > >
      > > If you're doing casual astrophotography (or even not-so-casual
      but
      > > exception work like Dennis and so many others on here), a good
      > amount of
      > > visual, etc, etc, and you want the extra $500 for additional
      > > accessories, then the LX90 is the way to go.
      > >
      > > The optics are identical. The only real difference is the drive
      > > sensors... and the GPS. The GPS is handy for figuring out
      exactly
      > where
      > > you are (especially if your viewing locations change by many
      miles
      > at a
      > > time), but it's hardly the most essential thing of the bunch.
      You

    • jafdem2002 <afdemj@cox.net>
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2003
        I used my 90 in the Light Pollution Capital of the Universe, Las
        Vegas Nevada. I'd previously owned smaller aperture scopes like your
        dealer recommends, and I ended up selling them used to move to the
        90. Could it be that your dealer would like to sell you several
        scopes over a year or two instead of only one (a 90)?