Re: Use of popular digital cameras with the LX90?

  • wmas1960
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 1, 2002
      Sorry to hear about your proximity to the fires. Hope you are safe.
      As for the lens, there is also an adapter that they have, if memory
      serves me, that might clamp to the outside of the lens. It looks
      like, unlike some cameras, your lens does protrude a little from the
      camera. Depending how your zoom operates you might be able to use
      that adapter with your camera. Check the Scopetronix site to see if
      that or one of their other adapters will work.

      Hope things improve for your skies and keep safe,

      Bill Schelhas
      Northfield, IL
      http://members.aol.com/wmas1960/homepages/Astro.htm

    • scurran007
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 12, 2002
        I have a cannon s30 digital with a f/stop of f2.6....It has 15 second
        shutter speed..most manual controls as well as auto and low noise,
        but the Nikon 995 for the same price has a 60 second bulb (same
        f/stop).

        --- In lx90@y..., "n69gq" <n69gq@y...> wrote:
        > There are a number of digital cameras in the $200-$500 range which
        > produce good snapshots, though are under the professional level
        which
        > allow for interchangeable lenses. I see mention of using webcams
        > even with scopes such as the LX-90, so it seems potentially viable
        > use a model of digital camera such as mine, if an interface between
        > the lens and scope could be rigged up. I have a Vivitar 3665 2.1
        > Megapixel recently purchased ($250)
        >
        > http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigCams/2mpdsc.html#V3665
        >
        > As I am considering an LX90, does anyone know how to use models
        such
        > as this?
      • turandot0
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 12, 2002
          I'm using an Olympus C2040Z bright lens digital camera,
          f1.8, 16sec. shutter speed. Some have compared the lens
          to other cameras with a less bright lens, but my 16 secs.
          is compared to 50 - 60 secs. with other cameras. That's
          one reason I got it - less exposure time. I also recommend
          a good software package such as Paint Shop Pro at ~ $70
          with the rebate or Images Plus at about $120. My camera
          was $400. Paint Shop Pro will do it all - stack (by
          layering) and will rotate objects due to field rotation
          if you want to stack images, but with some time between
          them. This software helps a lot in getting rid of the
          software. I don't have a wedge and don't plan on getting
          one with my setup. I'm still a bit new at dig. camera
          imaging but I've learned a lot from the digital astro
          site. There's a small learning curve: 1. focusing - use
          the camera with full digital zoom to focus. 2. dark
          frame subtration - easy - just cover up your lens or for me
          - easier to put the objective cover on the scope. you
          can take a dark frame after every image or every 2 or 3 images
          for example. 3. learn to use the software by trying
          different options to bring out the signal and get rid of
          the noise. I've been doing DSOs and planets such as Jupiter
          and Saturn. I highly recommend the digital astro egroup
          - pretty amazing shots even from light polluted backyards.

          Clear Skies,
          Chuck

          --- In lx90@y..., "scurran007" <smcurran@r...> wrote:
          > I have a cannon s30 digital with a f/stop of f2.6....It has 15
          second
          > shutter speed..most manual controls as well as auto and low noise,
          > but the Nikon 995 for the same price has a 60 second bulb (same
          > f/stop).
          >

          > --- In lx90@y..., "n69gq" <n69gq@y...> wrote:
          > > There are a number of digital cameras in the $200-$500 range
          which
          > > produce good snapshots, though are under the professional level
          > which
          > > allow for interchangeable lenses. I see mention of using webcams
          > > even with scopes such as the LX-90, so it seems potentially
          viable
          > > use a model of digital camera such as mine, if an interface
          between
          > > the lens and scope could be rigged up. I have a Vivitar 3665 2.1
          > > Megapixel recently purchased ($250)
          > >
          > > http://www.vivitar.com/Products/DigCams/2mpdsc.html#V3665
          > >
          > > As I am considering an LX90, does anyone know how to use models
          > such
          > > as this?
        • wmas1960
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2002
            I am not familiar with the Canon cameras so I can't say whether that
            camera is good or not. I will leave that assessment for someone with
            more experience with the Canon cameras. I use a Nikon Coolpix 990,
            predicessor to the 995. I think they are very similar but the 995
            has a few better features and was mainly an improvement on the
            problems with the 990. I think better shutter speed might be one,
            the location of the flash above the lens, instead of along side, for
            less red eye and others I don't recall. I get great results with my
            camera and think you would do very well with the 995. I do know that
            it is a popular camera with the Digital Astrophotography. One other
            good thing, as I recall, is that the lens is almost identical to the
            diameter of the standard eyepiece on the LX90. Using an afocal
            adapter like the Scopetronix, http://www.scopetronix.com , Digi-T
            the fit is very good and allows for a minimal amount of vignetting.
            That is where the corners of your image will be rounded. With a
            small amount of zoom, you can actually eliminate the rounding of the
            edges.

            Like I said, my setup works great. You can see some examples of my
            results on the webpage linked at the bottom of this post. My
            pictures are un-enhanced except for cropping and enlargement and
            minor adjustments in sharpness, brightness and color balance. I have
            not stacked these images or done any more advanced enhancement. With
            exception of a few pictures, as indicated, that were shot on 35mm
            film all others are digital on the Nikon 990.