Re: [lx90] OT. Opinions on dark sky site? (Skymap users only)

  • Peter Vasey
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 1:04 AM
      Thanks for replying, Clay. Actually the Eastern restriction is 20 deg altitude, rising from less than 5 at 330 deg (Azimuth) through 10 at 0 az (due North) to 20 at 45 az, remaining at that height until starting to drop at 120 az in a straight line to less than 5 at 160 az, remaining there right round to 330 az again. It's a hillside covered in tall pine trees running North-South. 55 deg is my latitude.

      Peter.

      Clay Sherrod wrote:

      > Peter - as rare as dark site land is becoming, the eastern restriction of 55 degrees should not bother you; as you well know objects in the east will always rise at the rate of 15 degrees per hour! The only restriction I could think of would be morning early apparitions of planets when they first emerge from solar glare as Jupiter, Saturn and Mars will in late September and October.
      >
      > Another consideration would be eastern comets....I solve this problem by merely having a portable scope handy to access some very low horizon points in west and east.
      >
      > My main observatory has huge "Pagoda-style" roof sections that slide off to the east and west; the center peak where they meet in quite tall to accommodate some bulky equipment inside. When rolled completely off, the E-W restriction of this high roof peak is nearly 35 degrees and I have NEVER missed that low point. Atmospheric extinction becomes so great below 45 degrees that except for rare southern objects, most observing south of that line is mediocre at best.
      >
      > I would certainly not let this restriction bother you in the decision....if it were the SOUTH sky (which I think is the most important as far as year-round accessibility), then it would be a different matter altogether.
      >
      > Best of luck....when is the house warming??
      >
      > Dr. Clay

    • Peter Vasey
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 1:33 AM
        Hi, Dennis, thanks for replying.

        dennis_persyk wrote:

        > A few considerations:
        >
        > 1) What is the difference in limiting magnitudes?

        Better than 3. Pretty well naked eye limits. Very little light pollution.
        The Tyne-Wear conurbation is 50 miles away, nothing of any consequence within
        30 miles.

        > If its 2.0, going to a 20" dob will achieve the same effect as getting the
        > log cabin.

        Not with my sky glow! I can read by it when it's overcast!

        > 2) For imaging, you will achieve nearly the same results by acquiring
        > more images.

        Much better than my home site - skyglow again.

        > 3) Anything that is too low in the east today will be much higher in
        > two months. My mentor just north of me has his observatory in the
        > midst of a deep woods. His horizon is about 45 degrees in all
        > directions. He just waits until his subject reaches the meridian and
        > then he images. This doesn't work for all subjects, of course.

        My northern latitude is a problem in this respect - in high Summer here it
        never gets really dark, and for a month or two either side the full dark
        window is only an hour or so, therefore many objects are affected by twilight
        when near the zenith.

        > 4) Today's dark site will become tomorrow's light-polluted site –
        > there is no permanent escape from light pollution.

        Kielder Forest is a protected environment - the likelihood of any major light
        pollution is (I hope!) slim.

        > 4) Stop trying to rationalize the need for the log cabin – just buy
        > it!

        Tempter!!

        > Dennis
        >
        > --- In lx90@y..., Peter Vasey <petevasey@b...> wrote:
        > > I'm thinking of buying myself a second home (Log Cabin type) as my
        > > retirement present to me in darkest Northumberland (Kielder - 67
        > miles
        > > from home, 15 miles NW of >
        > > Any opinions on the visible sky? I've been dithering ad nauseam!!
        > >
        > > And UK readers are NOT allowed to be influenced by the possibility
        > of Star Parties!! :-)
        > >
        > > Peter.
      • Patrick Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 2:08 AM
          Peter,

          No attachment - not allowed!

          Regards

          Patrick

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 6:02 AM
            Aaargh! I keep forgetting - I also sent this to the QCUIAG site which does
            allow attachments.

            Anyway, a description of my horizon is in my reply to Clay Sherrod, recently
            posted to the group. So opinions still welcome!

            Thanks, Peter.

            Patrick Thompson wrote:

            > Peter,
            >
            > No attachment - not allowed!
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Patrick

          • Clay Sherrod
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 6:31 AM
              Sounds fantastic....particularly since the environment is protected for the future. That is what is killing us here; 10 years ago dark sky was at my back door, now my limiting magnitude to the eye is rarely 3.0. My mountaintop observatory is surrounded by national forest and a state park.....sky glow is encroaching horribly here as well.

              I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

              Dr. Clay

              Clay Sherrod wrote:

              > Peter - as rare as dark site land is becoming, the eastern restriction of 55 degrees should not bother you; as you well know objects in the east will always rise at the rate of 15 degrees per hour! The only restriction I could think of would be morning early apparitions of planets when they first emerge from solar glare as Jupiter, Saturn and Mars will in late September and October.
              >
              > Another consideration would be eastern comets....I solve this problem by merely having a portable scope handy to access some very low horizon points in west and east.
              >
              > My main observatory has huge "Pagoda-style" roof sections that slide off to the east and west; the center peak where they meet in quite tall to accommodate some bulky equipment inside. When rolled completely off, the E-W restriction of this high roof peak is nearly 35 degrees and I have NEVER missed that low point. Atmospheric extinction becomes so great below 45 degrees that except for rare southern objects, most observing south of that line is mediocre at best.
              >
              > I would certainly not let this restriction bother you in the decision....if it were the SOUTH sky (which I think is the most important as far as year-round accessibility), then it would be a different matter altogether.
              >
              > Best of luck....when is the house warming??
              >
              > Dr. Clay

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              To view the LX90 Online FAQ, visit: http://faq.lx-90.com

            • Dave Snay
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1 6:54 AM
                Dr. Clay,

                When you say your limiting magnitude is 3.0, does that mean that the dimmest star you can see with the naked eye is magnitude 3.0?
                Isn't Polaris 2.0 magnitude?

                Dave