Re: [lx90] Re: Meade Customer Service for parts

  • Clay Sherrod
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hey Jeff -
      Sorry, but please don't shoot the messenger. There was a time for the past few months where Meade was readily supplying control panel replacements for both the LX 90 and the new LX 200 GPS....I think they got into a problem with many customers who were assuming bad control panels when, in fact, other situations were causing trouble with scopes other than that part....the repairs were doing more damage than good and many of these scopes ultimately were going back to Meade in the long run after all.

      For most user repairs of modest undertaking, Meade is actually pretty good about supplying replacement/repair components of the telescopes; I think that some of this has stemmed in part from the Meade-Celestron war that emerged recently....something we likely have seen the end of this week.

      Dr. Clay

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
        Dr. Clay;

        I really didn't mean to "Shoot The Messenger"
        but was irritated by Meade's customer phone line and
        took it out on you.

        I will try Meade again next week and see if I can convince
        them to sell me one. Or I may try the repair myself as Steve
        McDonald mentioned. The break is right near the point on the board
        where the 12 VDC jack is mounted. As I mentioned, it works fine on
        external power. I just don't know if there is a diode or other
        componate that's bad, breaking the circut and wanted to be sure to
        at worse, "Do No Damage"

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2002
          NO problem...you certainly can do no more harm than presently experiencing by attempting the fix yourself..however it might be a good idea to check "one more time..."

        • jmwest276
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2002
            Hi All;

            I finally contacted Meade and got through with
            just a little wait and They Were Great!

            I explained what the symtoms were, how I had
            disassembled the power panel side arm and checked
            the panel conections etc. and they said they would
            send me out a repair power panel at no cost. I was
            just out of warrenty.

            I got it today, which was about a week or so
            and like I said, the Meade Customer Support people
            were great.

            I will install the panel this week and I should
            then have internal battery power! Now I just need
            clear skies. It's cloudy here again!

            Jeff West..........Winchester, VA