Re: Need advice (am I doing something wrong???)

  • dmorehou@yahoo.ca
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
      Hi Monte:

      The answer to your question is simple...use it. Go through the whole
      2 star alignment procedure (be patient here...it sometimes can take a
      few tries before you get the hang of it). After I finish aligning,
      then I usually go directly to Jupiter to see if it is aligned
      properly. Then leave it there for awhile to see how well it tracks.

      Take the time to really go through the manual. That will avoid some
      of the common mistakes like the unit set on Terrestrial vs
      Astronomical, etc., etc. I spent quite a bit of time playing (and
      learning) with the Autostar in my livingroom while I waited for the
      clouds to finally break.

      In terms of collimation, the manual includes a description on how to
      check it out. Also, check out the "MAPUG" web site for LX200 users.
      Somewhere there it describes how to complete daytime collimation, etc
      using a stake and a ballbearing.

      Cheers,
      Dan

    • chuckdvorak@home.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
        Monte,

        I took a whiff and you are OK.....you don't smell!!!!!

        Seriously, you are welcome here and you will receive a great deal of
        help and guidance which will not only make your viewing sessions more
        enjoyable, but might even save you some time and money by learning
        from some of our errors. But like the hobby of choice, you'll need a
        little patience.

        Part of the problem is that your question was so general that it made
        it very difficult to answer in a short response. Many of the members
        jump on several times during the day and might be able to bang out a
        quick response on the keyboard, but might not have the time for a
        lengthy response until they have a day off of work, or at a more
        suitable time. I'd like to think that we're all out viewing each
        night and are too exhausted to do anything else.....but the LX90
        curse is that when you first bring it home, you and the rest of the
        group are gauranteed to have weeks of cloudy skies.

        Getting back to your question, you have really many questions that
        can be answered in the manual or in previous posts from this group.
        Start with the manual and try this link:

        Ver2.pdf

        (You'll have to paste in the entire address if this doesn't
        fit.....better yet, just jump to the Files section and locate it.
        While you're at the file section, look at all of the other postings
        for some neat photos, documents and forms)

        When you receive your scope, carefully unpack it and check it over
        for any obvious physical damage. Save all the boxes and packing
        materials in case you have to ship the scope back for any repairs in
        the near or distant future. Set the scope up inside your home where
        there is plenty of light to get a feel for the process when you can
        see clearly. This will help prevent you from stumbling around in the
        dark. The LX90 is a big scope, which really surprised me when I
        first saw it, but it is very managable once you get the feel of it.

        You will have to mount and align your viewfinder and set up your
        Autostar for you location. I reset mine and started from scratch
        since I was already familiar with the Autostar. Other members just
        adjusted the site settings for their own locations. Just remeber,
        the training of the drives is essential. Anytime you do a reset or
        load a new version, you must take your time and train the drives.
        Aligning the drives and viewfinder can be done in the daylight hours
        and will help you get some drive time with your scope.

        Once you have the scope set up....play with it and have a blast.
        Don't get bummed out if you're not hitting the targets dead on at
        first.....there is a lit bit of a learning curve and practice will
        make perfect. If you have problems....recheck ALL of your settings
        on the Autostar. I think we've all tripped a few times in the
        beginning, but I don't think we've had any members that weren't able
        to fix a problem that was not a bona fide return issue (which have
        also been extremely low).

        After you have played with the scope, discovered some issues, or just
        plain want to brag about your session, post a message. We love to
        hear about good times or help with a problem. It would be great if
        you could read all of the previous messages beginning from #1 to
        present, but as time goes on, the postings are getting large in
        numbers. To get around that, use the Search abilities of the
        message board to check specific interests or issues.

        It would be nice to have a simple document for in the file section
        that would address the many issues/fears that new owners face and
        overcome. Someone could keep some notes during this initial
        honeymoon process and write up some advice for other new members. I'm
        not sure if you'd be interested, but what the heck, I'll nominate you
        for the job.

        In closing, I'd like to again welcome you to the group. You'll find
        a wealth of information and talent within the membership. Some issues
        have direct answers, while other issues can be a matter of
        preference. The key to success is to review the info, respect others
        viewpoint and find what works best in your situation.

        Good Luck and clear skies
        Chuck

        --- In lx90@y..., "Monte L. Caudill" <monte33417@y...> wrote:
        > I dont understand why no one is responding to my post.
        >
        > Is it a stupid question, or one that has been answered
        > several times before.
        >
        > do I smell???
        > am I not welcome here??
        >
        > I really need honest advice.......PLEASE SOMEONE TALK TO ME
        > HELP....I FEEL ALL ALONE...AM I INVISABLE.
        >
        > Monte
        >
        > --- In lx90@y..., monte33417@y... wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Bran new member here. I have been reading several of the messages
        > on
        > > this site. (EXECELENT INFORMATION !!!!!!!)
        > >
        > > As a soon to be (3 to 4 days) owner of an LX90, I need advice.
        > > Not being that familiar with SCT's. What do I need to do when I
        get
        > > my scope to ensure it is in good condition and properly
        tuned/setup
        > > ect.
        > >
        > > I am very tech. minded and a perfectionist.
        > > What do I need to do to ensure/achieve the best collimation
        > > drive training, setup alinment ect.
        > >
        > > Any and all advice greatly appreciated
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Monte
      • Peter Vasey
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
          Fear not, Monte, You Are Not Alone!!

          But the answers to all your questions are in the manual you will receive
          with your LX90, i.e. alignment, drive training and collimation. The
          manual was on line
          in the archive, but the link
          http://www.egroups.com/files/lx90/LX90+Meade+Documents/LX90Ver2.pdf
          isn't finding the file at the moment. So I guess you'll just have to be
          patient!

          HTH, Peter.

          Monte L. Caudill wrote:

          > I dont understand why no one is responding to my post.
          >
          > Is it a stupid question, or one that has been answered
          > several times before.
          >
          > do I smell???
          > am I not welcome here??
          >
          > I really need honest advice.......PLEASE SOMEONE TALK TO ME
          > HELP....I FEEL ALL ALONE...AM I INVISABLE.
          >
          > Monte
          >
          > --- In lx90@y..., monte33417@y... wrote:
          > > Hi all,
          > >
          > > Bran new member here. I have been reading several of the messages
          > on
          > > this site. (EXECELENT INFORMATION !!!!!!!)
          > >
          > > As a soon to be (3 to 4 days) owner of an LX90, I need advice.
          > > Not being that familiar with SCT's. What do I need to do when I get
          > > my scope to ensure it is in good condition and properly tuned/setup
          > > ect.
          > >
          > > I am very tech. minded and a perfectionist.
          > > What do I need to do to ensure/achieve the best collimation
          > > drive training, setup alinment ect.
          > >
          > > Any and all advice greatly appreciated
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Monte

        • Peter Vasey
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
            Hi again, Monte, just to add:

            Peter Vasey wrote:
            > The manual was on line in the archive, but the link
            > http://www.egroups.com/files/lx90/LX90+Meade+Documents/LX90Ver2.pdf
            > isn't finding the file at the moment.

            BUT you can read all about the Autostar on the Meade page at
            http://www.meade.com/manuals/autostar/index.html and collimation at
            http://www.meade.com/manuals/lx200/apxe.html#apxe2

            Peter.
          • Ray Shapp
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
              Peter V.

              Like Monte, I'm hanging by my wrists waiting for the LX90 I have ordered. I
              went to the page you suggested to read about the Autostar and I see that the
              manual describes the model 495 and the 497. Which one of these is the model
              I will be using on the LX90?

              Thanks for the help,

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ