Jupiter, collimation, Autostar freeze-up

  • nukelarrysb
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
      Well, inspite of a bright moon and high level thin scattered
      clouds, got some observing in tonight. Once everything cooled
      off and settled down, got some great views of jupiter in between
      cloud passings. I could easily see 4 dark bands, the polar
      regions and 5 light bands. I could see two darker spots on the
      thick "curly" band, even some nice feathery shapes. I think I saw
      a fine line around the equator too.

      I've had some time to try and tweek the collimation on a better
      night than tonight. I've noticed that when I defocus with the
      diagonal, I always see a "keyhole" pattern, where there's a sort
      of "tongue" sticking straight up from the concentric pattern of
      diffraction rings. Moving my finger around confirms it lines up
      with the "top". This does not seem to appear with the diagonal in
      place. There appears to be some obstruction of the prism when
      I look through the diagonal! I think that's it!

      As an experiment, I added an object to the Autostar database,
      called it "CNP" and just took Polaris coordinates but made it
      directly at 90 deg, rather than 89.15. The scope slewed to it,
      beeped and that was it. The Autostar paddle was then frozen
      and would not respond to any keys at all. Weird. I just wanted to
      get an idea of how to aim at the true CNP when my wedge gets
      here.

      Oh well, that was my fun this evening.
    • Clay Sherrod
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
        Interesting. I don't quite understand or follow what you did to ".....just took Polaris coordinates but made it
        directly at 90 deg, rather than 89.15"
        Are you saying that you actually CHANGED the Autostar entry for Polaris or that you added a new User Object at coordinates "90 deg".....that would of course be its declination....what did you enter for RA.

        Even so, I cannot understand why the Autostar would freeze up merely being commanded to slew to Celestial North....there is nothing that would result in uncertain commands nor misunderstood direction unless you had two entries of the same object that perhaps conflicted.

        Dr. Clay

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        To view the LX90 Online FAQ, visit: http://faq.lx-90.com

      • Kevin Muenzler, WB5RUE
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
          I think what he did is add an object called "CNP" for Celestial North Pole
          at +90. I wonder if it crashed AutoStar trying to convert from polar
          coordinates to alt/azm at 90 degrees? Surly not but I'll have to try that
          tonight. I'll also try entering a new object called "Polaris" to see if
          duplicates in the database cause confusion. That's not likely either
          because the user entries are in a different place, I think.

          Kevin, WB5RUE
          Department of Redundancy Department

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2002
            What were you using for a power source???

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2002
              Yeah, that's what I did. I copied the RA of Polaris into a new user
              object I named "CNP". I did that because I just plonked in 0h for
              RA, and 90 for dec and it said it was under the horizon. My
              autostar is v.22er.

              I was running on internal batteries. It slewed right to it and then it
              froze up. I haven't had a chance to repeat the experiment. But I
              will when I get a chance.

              I was busy checking out a new Orion Lanthunum 7.5mm
              eyepeice. It ROCKS! I wish the viewing was better tonight, lots of
              moisture in the air. Even so, it totally smokes my 9.7mm Series
              4000.