Loose RA

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
      Hi Group:

      For the first time since I got my LX90 in March, I noticed a small amount of
      "play" between the base of the mount and the part of the mount that contains
      the fork arms. I cinched down on the heavy bolt that holds the LX90 to the
      wedge adapter and on the three smaller hand bolts that hold the adapter to
      the wedge, but the problem remained. I also checked the threaded rod that
      holds the wedge to the tripod and I tightened the RA clamp very securely,
      but the play remains. The play amounts to maybe only one degree, but it's
      still a worry.

      I can see the two parts of the mount move with respect to one another by
      watching where the fork arm part meets the RA circle. The base remains
      stationary while the upper part moves.

      I'm using the standard field tripod, a standard Meade wedge and a
      Scopetronics wedge adapter.

      Any ideas?

      thanks for your interest,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Janet L Miller
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
        Hi Ray,

        It sounds like you have some play in the RA/worm gears. Open up the bottom
        cover and unlock the RA. Rotate the base until you can see the worm clearly,
        then lock the RA again. Rock the base/forks back and forth and see if you
        can tell where the slop in the worm/RA gear is. There's a small spring that
        keeps the worm up against the RA gear, and there's a bolt with an elongated
        hole to adjust the gear lash on the worm block. Try adjusting that until you
        get a minimum amount of play.

        It's basically the same setup as the DEC gears; there's some images in the
        file archive of you haven't looked at them yet. The adjustment if pretty
        obvious in this photo.

        There's also an allen screw at the end of the worm to take up any play
        between the ends of the worm and the block, so you have actually two
        adjustments. I'd almost bet on the larger screw, or the sping may have
        fallen out. Transporting the LX90 with the RA/Dec clutches locked can cause
        this to happen.

        - Jan

        | For the first time since I got my LX90 in March, I noticed a small amount
        of
        | "play" between the base of the mount and the part of the mount that
        contains
        | the fork arms. I cinched down on the heavy bolt that holds the LX90 to
        the
        | wedge adapter and on the three smaller hand bolts that hold the adapter to
        | the wedge, but the problem remained. I also checked the threaded rod that
        | holds the wedge to the tripod and I tightened the RA clamp very securely,
        | but the play remains. The play amounts to maybe only one degree, but it's
        | still a worry.
        |
        | I can see the two parts of the mount move with respect to one another by
        | watching where the fork arm part meets the RA circle. The base remains
        | stationary while the upper part moves.
        |
        | I'm using the standard field tripod, a standard Meade wedge and a
        | Scopetronics wedge adapter.
        |
        | Any ideas?
        |
        | thanks for your interest,
        |
        | Ray Shapp
        | Watchung, NJ

        | To view the LX90 FAQ, visit: www.ibida.com

      • Clay Sherrod
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2001
          Ray - there is a posting that shows the RA worm driver gear up against the
          big drive gear. The odd-shaped inspection plate under the scope's base has
          been removed in that photograph...(can't remember the URL for it). At any
          rate what has happened is that the worm is not meshing tight enough (it is
          not "loaded" anymore) against the drive gear. In the photograph that I am
          refering to (someone please help me remember how it is listed in our "files
          section"....it is a great photo, but I cannot remember who posted it) it
          points out a small torque adjusting screw located on the worm mounting block
          (a hefty aluminum plate that holds the worm gear....the screw is at one end
          of it) that you can tighten or loosen.

          After you remove the small thin plate, unlock your RA clutch lock and rotate
          this "window" until you can see both the drive gear and the entire worm
          gear. Get in there and gently begin to turn the small allen screw
          CLOCKWISE; turn about 1/8th turn and the lock the clutch and see if that
          helped. If it still rocks tighten again but only about HALF as much...keep
          doing that until the rocking stops. Do NOT overtighten as this will cause
          roughness and some irregularity in the tracking and your GO TO's.

          Best of luck! that should take care of it.

          Dr. Clay