86824Re: [lx90] Moonlite focuser

  • Jim Coleman
    Mar 20, 2014
      I'll pitch in a bit. I have installed the FTM-M80 (replacing the Meade microfocuser for the same reasons - it was hitting the base of the forks when imaging to the north). I am still having mirror shift issues but not as badly - possibly because I moved the mirror back and forth all the way in and out a time or two. Getting the original focuser off was a bit tricky (more because I was afraid to break something) but getting the new one on and secured was easy. I have used it only once since installing it and it worked very, very well.

      Like I said, I have only used it once since installing it and was pleased. I don't think one use is really enough to make good call on the mirror shift issue - I plan to use it a bit more when the weather permits (that's kind of a joke here in the Seattle area) ...

      Hope this helps. All in all, I'm very happy with the focuser thus far.

      Jim

      On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Dave Altwies <davealtwies@...> wrote:

      John,

      I just went to my email and your message came in while I was looking at other messages.

      I think, because I am a visual observer only, mirror shift has never been a big concern for me.  Although I have seen mirror shift, the object never shifted out of the field of view probably because I usually use a 17mm 68 degree eyepiece or a Mallincam Extreme camera with a focal reducer for video aided viewing.  I am not an expert in there areas, but I believe mirror shift is more of a concern for imagers.  I have been told that the FTM-M8 will reduce mirror shift, but I cannot verify that.

      You can get the installation directions for the FTM-M8 at http://starlightinstruments.com/store/image/data/PDF/Meade%20MicroFocuser.pdf  I had a little bit of a problem getting the old focuser off the mirror holder rod shown in step 2.  It took a bit of wiggling but I did get it off.  I did not have any problem putting the new focuser on.  The new focuser comes with a DVD that is better than the pdf on the website.

      I set the scope upon the back porch in daylight. The focuser was very smooth and the 10:1 vernier allows very precise focus.  I think this is a good compromise.  I found not being able to reach zenith a real pain in the @%$.

      Regards,

      Dave Altwies
      Lake Geneva, WI

      Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2014 9:12 AM
      Subject: Re: [lx90] Moonlite focuser

      Dave,

      Thank you for your reply to my question about a Crayford type focuser.

      I am undecided between replacing the stock focuser and going for a Moonlite focuser that screws into the visual back.   I am troubled by mirror shift.  Does the FTM-M80 Micro Focuser reduce mirror shift significantly.  Did you have any issues replacing the stock focuser?      I want to gather as have as much information as possible before making a purchase.

      Thank you

      John

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic