Singularity, no. Many small steps, yes.

  • futuretalk2030
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      As we move into the late 2020s and 2030s, the most salient scenario
      is that we will merge with our technology gradually, not overnight.
      We may not experience a single great leap like a "Singularity";
      instead, we could see many small steps as we slowly become more
      machine-like.

      Computers will eventually surpass human levels of
      intelligence and develop ability to self-replicate, increasing
      intelligence with each succeeding generation. This will produce an
      information explosion almost beyond imagination.

      However, our bodies will evolve during this same time. We
      will use nanobots to kill pathogens and cancer cells, and then go
      into our brain and do benign things like augment memory. Slowly these
      nanobots will become more sophisticated.

      We will direct our smart `bots to convert biological neurons
      into powerful non-biological ones, and rewrite our
      brain's "software". This will allow us to connect with machines and
      share their super-intelligence.

      Eventually, every cell in our body will become non-
      biological, and our silicon-based mind will be able to transmit a
      copy of itself continuously into a safe storage area for download to
      a new "housing unit" should disaster strike.

      We would immediately end life in one body and resume living
      in another body. Our mind would not even be aware of the transfer. We
      will then consider our lifespan, indefinite.
      Our trip into this "magical future" could take place one
      benign, safe change at a time.

      Comments welcome, Dick