Reminder: February 11 Meeting of Las Vegas Futurists

  • gildacabral
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2005
      Hi everyone:

      On Friday February 11, our very own local Las Vegas Futurist, Elain
      Baran will lead a discussion on the book: The Future of Freedom
      written by Fareed Zakaria.

      In his thought-provoking exploration of democracy and how it relates
      to liberty, Fareed Zakaria provides background for the continuing
      examination of how democratic ideals are exercised, promulgated, and
      disseminated as well as offering insights and interpretations of many
      situations in the world today. This wide-ranging book covers
      everything from the history of "the West" and how democracy evolved
      from a foundation of increasing liberty starting in the Dark Ages to
      the Islamic Exception, the power of economics and the "Death of
      Authority". While examining the various factors that have
      contributed to our current state, Mr. Zakaria does not lose sight of
      the more overriding concern - he calls for a restoration of the
      balance between liberty and democracy and shows how liberal democracy
      has to be made effective and relevant for today.

      Our discussion will cover not only the ideas presented by Mr.
      Zakaria, but create an opening for bridging into an exploration of
      the economic, political, geo-political and social ideas presented by
      Michael Novak ("The Spirit of Democratic Capitalism"), Thomas Barnett
      ("The Pentagon's New Roadmap"), Thomas Stewart ("Intellectual
      Capital"), Dinesh D'Souza ("What's So Great About America") and John
      Micklethwait and Adrian Woolridge ("A Future Perfect").

      Las Vegas Futurists Meetings are held at Borders Bookstore on 2190 N.
      Rainbow Blvd Las Vegas on the second Fridays of every month from
      7:00pm to 9:00 pm. The meetings are followed by a dinner and more
      discussion at a local restaurant. The homepage for the Las Vegas
      Futurists is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lvfuturists.