Call for contributors

  • Simon Lewandowski
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2010
      The Wild Pansy Press BRITISH BOOK OF VIOLENCE.
      Call for Contributors

      Britain has a long and distinguished history of violence - in this we
      are like any other nation; however, it has been argued that we
      inflict it on ourselves and on others with particular enthusiasm and
      efficiency.

      The way this history is manifested is specific, violence being part
      of our national identity. The British brand of violence informs our
      art, our humour our politics, our sexual habits and our social
      identities. Its present threat underwrites political and social
      hegemonies and haunts our dreams; we laugh with relief at our escape
      when it is inflicted on someone else; we turn it inwards on ourselves
      in spectacular cycles of addiction, abuse and self-hatred. Our
      artists and writers inflict violence on materials, ideas and language
      (and sometimes on themselves) as an intrinsic part of the creative
      process.
      What are the particular forms in which our national history of
      violence is manifested through language and culture?

      WPP invites artists� and writers� initial outline responses to the
      idea of British Violence - historical, political, sexual, ritual,
      comical, subliminal, practical, institutional... we would
      particularly welcome material from non-british contributors either
      resident or offering a view from �outside�.
      WPP will work with the selected contributors to produce work to be
      included in the second* of an ongoing series of themed group
      publications in which the editors at WPP act as curators and
      animateurs to develop publications which extend and confound the
      usual notions of the book.

      We are looking for: visuals of all kinds, instructional projects,
      games, short texts of any kind (notional maximum 2000 words) - works
      of fiction, fact or any combination of the two. We need to receive
      proposals and expressions of interest by September 30th 2010, with a
      view to completion by December 30th and publication in early 2011.

      Contact: info@...
      www.wildpansypress.com

      Simon Lewandowski
      www.lewandowski.lowtech.org
      www.wildpansypress.com
      http://www.basement43.co.uk

    • Stuart Russell Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2010
        We are seeking performance artists, predominantly those working with speech, dance, music, installation, theatre and film, who have an interest in creating site influenced pieces to participate in a multi-disciplinary event to be held on the 4th November at a temporary and unique reclaimed public space. We are interested in works, whether site influenced or not, that explore themes of memory, traces, residue, reclamation, transition, re-appropriation and superimposition. Please submit your proposal for the use of the space or images/clips of existing work by the 28th October 2010.
        Bitter Orange