ARTIST OPPORTUNITY: Resource Space commission for The Tetley

  • Project Space
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2013
      We are excited to invite applications for a new artists' commission to
      be housed within The Tetley, our new centre for contemporary art which
      will open this Autumn.

      Please feel free to circulate the details below throughout your
      networks.

      --

      OPPORTUNITY FOR ARTISTS / DESIGNERS

      Outline brief
      We are commissioning a set of interactive furniture/objects for our
      Resource Space where visitors can spend time finding out more about our
      artistic projects or taking part in activities relating to them. The
      commission is offered to all artists / designers (either individuals or
      collaborative partnerships / groups) working with contemporary art and
      design practices and will form part of the opening programme for The
      Tetley.

      Initially the Resource Space will be located on the first floor, with
      the potential for units to be mobile, and to link to similar units
      elsewhere in the building. These may be added to accumulatively over
      time. This set of multiple units will provide physical armatures for
      thinking, reading, writing, discussing, making, studying and learning.
      The aim of this architectural framework is to stimulate and support
      intellectual and practical creative engagement with both the programme
      at The Tetley, and with current contemporary art practices.

      Budget
      This commission is funded through Arts Council England's Small Capital
      Grants scheme, we have a maximum of £7,000 for this first in a series
      of commissions. The budget is to include all production, installation,
      technical costs, associated fees and expenses with £1,000 reserved
      for reference materials to be housed within the resource space.

      The budget will be co-managed by the successful applicant and PSL and we
      are happy to receive proposals as to how the budget is alocated to
      accommodate artists / designers / fabricators so long as the commissions
      objectives are met.

      Process
      After reading the full brief (downloadable from www.theteley.com) please
      send the following only, by email to zoe.sawyer@...:

      * CV outlining relevant experience/ projects (max 2 sides A4)
      * Proposal outlining your interest in the commission and initial
      ideas / approach (max 3 sides A4)
      * Initial budget breakdown
      * Maximum of 5 images ( jpegs no larger than 1MB each) of relevant
      previous work
      The deadline for submission is 5pm on Friday 16th August

      It is not possible to offer access to The Tetley in advance of the
      submission deadline due to construction works. The commission will be
      awarded on the quality of the ideas put forward in the proposal, the
      strength of previous work and the applicants perceived capacity to
      deliver of a successful outcome. We envisage The Tetley's curatorial
      team will be closely involved in the commission development process.

      For more information and to download full brief visit:
      www.thetetley.org
      <http://thetetley.org/the-tetley-resource-space-commission/http://> or
      email: zoe.sawyer@...

      We look forward to receiving your submissions!