RE: [Lupin III] Re: Geneon offering Lupin for download via Vuze

  • DANIEL ZELTER
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2007
      >If the on-demand releases seem to be profitable, I can see Geneon
      >taking that route for the rest of the series. Otherwise, making
      >it available for download would be the better option for finishing
      >out the series. You wouldn't have to go through the printing,
      >pressing, etc. expense for a full-fledged DVD run.

      While uploading is cheaper than dvd, it'd still be an act of snubbing
      the fans who've been supportive of the series up until its "hiatus".
      Plus you can't make much money off of it, anyway, outside of people
      who just want to see it and move on to something else. So I'm assuming
      they're doing it to help expand the audience for the show. I can't
      imagine them not giving it a dual release like ADV's doing with their
      shows and Viz is doing with Death Note.
    • Gozar
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2007
        Great...now if we could only get DVD releases of new eps.
      • jthegamefan
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
          While I also will accept the dubbed eps any way I can, I'd prefer to
          have them on a physical medium like DVD.

          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, CuteBoyNick@... wrote:

          > It doesn't matter to me how they release it as long as I can
          > get it and it's still dubbed by the same cast!
        • cruzl
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
            --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "DANIEL ZELTER"
            <danielzelter@...> wrote:
            > While uploading is cheaper than dvd, it'd still be an act of
            > snubbing the fans who've been supportive of the series up
            > until its "hiatus".

            I'm not sure I see how continuing to make available the product
            would be snubbing the people who supported it. Can you elaborate
            on that point?

            > Plus you can't make much money off of it, anyway, outside of
            > people who just want to see it and move on to something else.
            > So I'm assuming they're doing it to help expand the audience
            > for the show.

            I'm not sure this is a move to expand the audience more as a way
            to experiment with on-line distribution and see if an older title
            would sell better via a different, cheaper avenue. Will the people
            who always said "I'll buy a cheaper box set" put their money where
            their mouth is if the on-line version costs as much or less than
            the standard cheap box set.

            ---
            "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love
            and be loved in return"

            Luis A. Cruz
            sprak[at]lupinencyclopedia[dot]com
            Blog: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/blog/
            Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
            Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/
          • Robotech_Master
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
              I'm personally rather annoyed with DRM'd formats, so I simply won't
              buy one. If I can't burn it to DVD for watching away from my computer,
              or transpose it to some other format for use if I get a portable video
              player, it's not worth the money.

              Here's hoping that iTMS's sensible attitude toward DRM expands to the
              movie industry soon. Though realistically, I doubt it will...

              --
              Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody help,
              Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | I'm trapped in
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                >I'm not sure I see how continuing to make available the product
                >would be snubbing the people who supported it. Can you elaborate
                >on that point?

                What are we going to be doing with the old dvds, if the only way to watch
                the series from now on is on-line? Plus we kept the format going this far,
                longer than even Slam Dunk or St. Seiya, and this is how they want to repay
                us? By skipping us entirely for the bit-torrent generation? That "market" is
                less dedicated to a series than us, and they only look for the "shiny" stuff
                Jump anime adaptations and the like, anyway. (For example, one of the OP
                fans on ANN said that the people who'd been d/ling the series all this time
                were not that likely to buy the uncut show from FUNimation, because they
                only did that to thumb their noses at 4Kids, not because they'd actually pay
                for it if they got the chance. And I don't doubt it's that way with a lot of
                anime titles.)

                >I'm not sure this is a move to expand the audience more as a way
                >to experiment with on-line distribution and see if an older title
                >would sell better via a different, cheaper avenue. Will the people
                >who always said "I'll buy a cheaper box set" put their money where
                >their mouth is if the on-line version costs as much or less than
                >the standard cheap box set."

                I doubt they will, if, as Robotech Master suggests, they can't burn the eps
                or carry them wherever they want. They might do that for a couple episodes,
                but not 85 of them. That stuff takes up space. Geneon can afford to sell
                what they've already released at a cheaper rate, but the returns will be
                smaller on the second half, if it's not on dvd or burnable.

              • cruzl
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                  I'll preface this with a link to Reed's posting of the press
                  release along with some rep confirmed details that the contract
                  is only for the episodes already released:
                  http://www.lupinthethird.net/forums/index.php?topic=137.msg1064

                  <danielzelter@...> wrote:
                  > What are we going to be doing with the old dvds, if the only
                  > way to watch the series from now on is on-line?

                  You have the exact same options for the old DVDs as you
                  would if they kept the series on DVD. You can continue to own
                  and watch them, sell them, trash them, or give them away.

                  > Plus we kept the format going this far, longer than even
                  > Slam Dunk or St. Seiya, and this is how they want to repay
                  > us? By skipping us entirely for the bit-torrent generation?

                  The market will decide whether or not this move is a success.
                  Just as the market moved from VHS/LD to DVD, it will decide
                  if it moves the bulk of its money to on-line distribution.
                  This move is not a snub to fans, and the company has no obligation
                  to "repay us" for our purchases. They are a business and
                  need to turn some form of profit to stay in business.

                  As the reps have consistently said, the numbers for the series
                  weren't there; it wasn't selling that well. They are exploring
                  if the series can sell and bring in a better return on investment
                  if it is distributed in a form that costs less to produce.

                  >> Will the people who always said "I'll buy a cheaper box set"
                  >> put their money where their mouth is if the on-line version
                  >> costs as much or less than the standard cheap box set."
                  >
                  > I doubt they will, if, as Robotech Master suggests, they can't
                  > burn the eps or carry them wherever they want. They might do
                  > that for a couple episodes, but not 85 of them.

                  There I will agree with you; I don't see most people buying 85
                  episodes via on-line distribution. However, I can see people
                  picking up their favorite episodes and then random episodes
                  their friends recommend. That's money Geneon wouldn't have
                  normally seen.

                  > Geneon can afford to sell what they've already released at a
                  > cheaper rate, but the returns will be smaller on the second half,
                  > if it's not on dvd or burnable.

                  Only time and the market will tell if that is accurate. I'm
                  personally rooting for the on-demand DVD-R experiment of
                  ImagineAsian to succeed. I believe that model in the short term
                  would be a better fit to wrap up the release of Lupin. However,
                  I do not begrudge or feel slighted that Geneon is exploring the
                  on-line arena as well and might decide to release the rest in
                  that form.

                  ---
                  "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love
                  and be loved in return"

                  Luis A. Cruz
                  sprak[at]lupinencyclopedia[dot]com
                  Blog: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/blog/
                  Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
                  Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/
                • David Bate
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                    DOH!!!

                    Not available to the UK. Stuffed by Region Illegislation again

                    Dave

                    --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, cruzl <no_reply@...> wrote:

                    > From Anime News Network:
                    > ...Vuze will offer Lupin III (including episode 3, which could
                    > not be shown on television)...Each title's first episode will
                    > be free. Vuze requires digital rights management software
                    > from Windows XP or Vista, as well as Windows Media Player 10
                    > or higher...
                    >
                    > While I'm not wild about it being restricted to Windows only,
                    > that is OS of choice for most of the downloading nation. Full
                    > article here:
                    > http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2007-05-31/geneon-azureus-to-
                    offer-anime-on-bittorrent-via-vuze

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                      >You have the exact same options for the old DVDs as you
                      >would if they kept the series on DVD. You can continue to own
                      >and watch them, sell them, trash them, or give them away.

                      Yes, but there's a difference between getting rid of them because I don't
                      like them and getting rid of them, because I can't finish the series.

                      >This move is not a snub to fans,

                      Saying that us buying dvds doesn't matter[assuming that's what they're
                      saying, of course] and they're only going to sell the show to the BT crowd
                      sounds like a snub to me.

                      >and the company has no obligation to "repay us" for our purchases. They are
                      >a business and
                      >need to turn some form of profit to stay in business.

                      They might not have an obligation to recognize our support, but acting like
                      we don't exist is just economic suicide.

                      >As the reps have consistently said, the numbers for the series
                      >weren't there; it wasn't selling that well. They are exploring
                      >if the series can sell and bring in a better return on investment
                      >if it is distributed in a form that costs less to produce.

                      They already sold it pretty cheaply-especially compared to their other
                      titles. The real reason behind why they're not making the money they want
                      off Lupin is because of their piss-poor marketing of it. Compare how Geneon
                      tried to sell Lupin to ADV's promotion of older titles like Area 88 and
                      Gatchaman, and you'll definitely notice a difference. ADV doesn't try to
                      pretend those shows are brand new, and they acknowledge the fact that
                      they're more likely to appeal to older, rather than younger fans.

                      >Only time and the market will tell if that is accurate. I'm
                      >personally rooting for the on-demand DVD-R experiment of
                      >ImagineAsian to succeed. I believe that model in the short term
                      >would be a better fit to wrap up the release of Lupin.

                      I still think broadcasting Lupin as part of the new TMS Classics line is the
                      way to go, even if it means I only could buy the series through RightStuf
                      like Cat's Eye and Orguss.
                    • zantetsupowaa
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 1, 2007
                        --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "David Bate" <david_bate@...> wrote:

                        > DOH!!!
                        >
                        > Not available to the UK. Stuffed by Region Illegislation again

                        It could be because of that Arsene Lupin legal dispute...
                      • David Bate
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 3, 2007
                          It is a regional motion picture copyright thing. Lupin DVDs and VHSs
                          are available in the UK (R2) and CoC has been shown on UK TV a few
                          times.

                          But I find it is nearly impossible to buy and download video from USA
                          to UK. We seem to held back 3 years behind the US in this regard. I
                          have the same gripe with iTunes and the Star Trek Enhanced episodes -
                          'sorry you cannot have that in your country'. Pity as they still get
                          paid for the episodes.

                          The same goes for 'grey' imports of region 1 DVDs to region 2
                          countries - frowned upon. Part of the great regional monopoly.

                          So much for internet without frontiers. I'll just have to wait until
                          some distributor take pity on us (You listening Optimum?).

                          Dave

                          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "zantetsupowaa"