Re: Lupin Live Action TV Series?

  • Kouichi Zenigata
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2006
      lmao.. thats what i said when i saw them! i went "Omg! sailor moon rip
      off!" not that its worth ripping off mind you

      --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "drm4mermaid" <drm4mermaid@...>
      wrote:

      > Yeah, no kidding! Doesn't remind me the slightest of Lupin, and
      > excuse my laguage, but WHAT THE F---SUPER TWINS?!! They look
      > like Sailor Moon knock-offs >.<
      >
      > Gaaah! @w@ doesn't anyone understand that you should stick with the
      > originals instead of molding into what they (the directors) see and
      > or want? Lame!
      >
      > I will scream if hollywood messes with Lupin or the others!!!
      >
      > .............bastards..........
      >

      > --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "Kouichi Zenigata"
      > <coventryanne@> wrote:
      > >
      > > anyone else slightly terrorfied by this? and the suit.. the suit
      > was
      > > awful.
      > >

      > > --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, CuteBoyNick@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > what the? what's this
      > > > (_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_III_%28Philippine_TV_series%
      > 29_
      > > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin_III_(Philippine_TV_series))
      > > > )? what's going on? Am I the only who doesn't know about this?

    • Robert Stickles
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
        Erm. I think the suit is a nod to the original live action film's suit,
        which was white and open at the front.

        IMO though, Lupin's animated suits might look fine in that medium but have
        you ever seen a tomato red jacket in real life? Even the green jacket would
        be an eyesore. You have to make some concessions to reality, otherwise you
        might as well have stayed animated. The Pilot Film voiceover describes
        Lupin's clothes as 'the cutting edge of fashion' (for 1967 when the film was
        made). That idea carried right trhough the 70's and into the 1980's 3rd TV
        series with the Pink Jacket, sort of a nod to Michael Mann and the
        popularity of Miami Vice. The minute the series went back to the green/red
        jackets they crossed into the retro category, and Lupin as a franchise has
        been stuck there ever since.

        Lupin might have started off as a period drama/action/adventure but it's
        ended up as kitsch retro. I'm unsure if updating the series is a good thing
        as too much time has been spent in retro mode and that's what's now
        ingrained into the public perception of the series. When the series was
        new, Lupin used a combination of flashy retro automobiles (like the Benz
        SSK) and of modern practical vehicles (like the Fiat 500). Nowadays, all of
        those vehicles are retro and they haven't really given Lupin a new iconic
        car. Even James Bond gets a late model Ashton Martin once in a while.

        The danger in not updating the series is that it will get stale. You know
        what you are getting when you buy new Lupin special and they have been like
        that so long that you now accept it. There's a fine balance between staying
        so retro that it's hip and rehashing the same old stuff. If Lupin had
        gradually updated with the times some new changes might not be so jarring.

        On 12/30/06, Kouichi Zenigata <coventryanne@...> wrote:

        > anyone else slightly terrorfied by this? and the suit.. the suit was
        > awful.

      • Kouichi Zenigata
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
          i thought that suit was awful too. though the movie was funny as hell,
          because at times, it was so awful and cheesie. god i love cheese

          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Stickles"
          <rob.ocelot@...> wrote:

          > Erm. I think the suit is a nod to the original live action film's suit,
          > which was white and open at the front.
          >
          > IMO though, Lupin's animated suits might look fine in that medium
          but have
          > you ever seen a tomato red jacket in real life? Even the green
          jacket would
          > be an eyesore. You have to make some concessions to reality,
          otherwise you
          > might as well have stayed animated. The Pilot Film voiceover describes
          > Lupin's clothes as 'the cutting edge of fashion' (for 1967 when the
          film was
          > made). That idea carried right trhough the 70's and into the 1980's
          3rd TV
          > series with the Pink Jacket, sort of a nod to Michael Mann and the
          > popularity of Miami Vice. The minute the series went back to the
          green/red
          > jackets they crossed into the retro category, and Lupin as a
          franchise has
          > been stuck there ever since.
          >
          > Lupin might have started off as a period drama/action/adventure but it's
          > ended up as kitsch retro. I'm unsure if updating the series is a
          good thing
          > as too much time has been spent in retro mode and that's what's now
          > ingrained into the public perception of the series. When the series was
          > new, Lupin used a combination of flashy retro automobiles (like the Benz
          > SSK) and of modern practical vehicles (like the Fiat 500).
          Nowadays, all of
          > those vehicles are retro and they haven't really given Lupin a new
          iconic
          > car. Even James Bond gets a late model Ashton Martin once in a while.
          >
          > The danger in not updating the series is that it will get stale.
          You know
          > what you are getting when you buy new Lupin special and they have
          been like
          > that so long that you now accept it. There's a fine balance between
          staying
          > so retro that it's hip and rehashing the same old stuff. If Lupin had
          > gradually updated with the times some new changes might not be so
          jarring.

          > On 12/30/06, Kouichi Zenigata <coventryanne@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > anyone else slightly terrorfied by this? and the suit.. the suit was
          > > awful.

        • David Cotton
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2007
            I'd like to know what Monkey Punch thinks of this.

            Kouichi Zenigata <coventryanne@...> wrote: i thought that suit was awful too. though the movie was funny as hell,

            <rob.ocelot@...> wrote:

            > Erm. I think the suit is a nod to the original live action film's suit,
            > which was white and open at the front.
            >
            > IMO though, Lupin's animated suits might look fine in that medium
            but have
            > you ever seen a tomato red jacket in real life? Even the green
            jacket would
            > be an eyesore. You have to make some concessions to reality,
            otherwise you
            > might as well have stayed animated. The Pilot Film voiceover describes
            > Lupin's clothes as 'the cutting edge of fashion' (for 1967 when the
            film was
            > made). That idea carried right trhough the 70's and into the 1980's
            3rd TV
            > series with the Pink Jacket, sort of a nod to Michael Mann and the
            > popularity of Miami Vice. The minute the series went back to the
            green/red
            > jackets they crossed into the retro category, and Lupin as a
            franchise has
            > been stuck there ever since.
            >
            > Lupin might have started off as a period drama/action/adventure but it's
            > ended up as kitsch retro. I'm unsure if updating the series is a
            good thing
            > as too much time has been spent in retro mode and that's what's now
            > ingrained into the public perception of the series. When the series was
            > new, Lupin used a combination of flashy retro automobiles (like the Benz
            > SSK) and of modern practical vehicles (like the Fiat 500).
            Nowadays, all of
            > those vehicles are retro and they haven't really given Lupin a new
            iconic
            > car. Even James Bond gets a late model Ashton Martin once in a while.
            >
            > The danger in not updating the series is that it will get stale.
            You know
            > what you are getting when you buy new Lupin special and they have
            been like
            > that so long that you now accept it. There's a fine balance between
            staying
            > so retro that it's hip and rehashing the same old stuff. If Lupin had
            > gradually updated with the times some new changes might not be so
            jarring.

            > On 12/30/06, Kouichi Zenigata <coventryanne@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > anyone else slightly terrorfied by this? and the suit.. the suit was
            > > awful.

          • DANIEL ZELTER
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2007
              "I'd like to know what Monkey Punch thinks of this."

              I think the real question is what the LeBlanc estate would think of it. ^_-