Re: [Lupin III] Dunno if this is true, but, Mamo LD?

  • talesofthewolf
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
      > There's two different Toho LD's of the film. Hard to tell which one
      he is
      > talking about. I have the one that does not include the english
      language
      > script book, but i have no LD player to test it on to see if it's
      the one in
      > question.
      >
      > From what I gather from the post the ''HK dub' appears to be on the
      LD as a
      > second language track with the Japanese on the other. The other 'script
      > book' LD I believe has ONLY an english track.

      I kind of assumed the same as far as LD's go. But since the
      Scripted/"Eigoban" (English Version) LD was printed in 1996, I think
      it's a safe bet that the audio on it was the Streamline dub.
      Especially so, since its English cover says "Lupin the Third - The
      Mystery of Mamo," a title that was certainly not considered an
      official name until after Streamline bargained for the US dub rights.

      I'm asking my Japanese contact some questions about the LD releases,
      so far he's only sent me back some info I already knew (English-only
      releases of Mamo on LD and Cagliostro on both LD and VHS). I've
      clarified my inquiries and hope to receive some more insight soon; but
      I think the only way to be sure is to simply plug the dang LD in and
      see if it's true or not.

      Wasn't there more than one (or two) version(s) of the Japanese "Mamo"
      LD? i.e., both separate and part of the Yamada box? (Like how only the
      expensive Ghibli ga Ippai Box set LDs have English dub audio tracks
      but standalone Ghibli LDs do not.)

      Just my thoughts.

      -Reed Nelson
    • talesofthewolf
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
        > I'm asking my Japanese contact some questions about the LD releases,
        > so far he's only sent me back some info I already knew (English-only
        > releases of Mamo on LD and Cagliostro on both LD and VHS). I've
        > clarified my inquiries and hope to receive some more insight soon; but
        > I think the only way to be sure is to simply plug the dang LD in and
        > see if it's true or not.

        I got word back from him and he tells me only the "Mystery of
        Mamo-Eigoban" (1996) LD has English audio of all the Japanese "Mamo"
        LD releases. He doesn't know which English dub or dubs are present on
        the disc.

        He's generally pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, so I trust him,
        but given the info about the change in voice actors for 7 Days
        Rhapsody, I'm taking it with a small grain of salt.

        -Reed Nelson
        LupintheThird.net
      • Giovanni Di Chiara
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2006
          talesofthewolf ha scritto:
          >> I'm asking my Japanese contact some questions about the LD releases,
          >> so far he's only sent me back some info I already knew (English-only
          >> releases of Mamo on LD and Cagliostro on both LD and VHS). I've
          >> clarified my inquiries and hope to receive some more insight soon; but
          >> I think the only way to be sure is to simply plug the dang LD in and
          >> see if it's true or not.
          >>

          > I got word back from him and he tells me only the "Mystery of
          > Mamo-Eigoban" (1996) LD has English audio of all the Japanese "Mamo"
          > LD releases. He doesn't know which English dub or dubs are present on
          > the disc.

          For me, english dub was without dubt HK dub, because into Mamoo's DVD by
          Toho there is original english theater trailer with that dub, and that
          dub is used for international versions (for example, italian TV dub of
          1986 is based on that english dub).

          See ya
        • talesofthewolf
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
            > For me, english dub was without dubt HK dub, because into Mamoo's
            DVD by
            > Toho there is original english theater trailer with that dub, and that
            > dub is used for international versions (for example, italian TV dub of
            > 1986 is based on that english dub).

            Interesting counter-point, you may be correct.

            If so that would make this LD quite the desired object:

            http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r19391150

            Also, it seems the audio tracks included are an English dub (probably
            either the '78/'79 dub or the Streamline dub) and an SFX/Music-only
            track (according to the Japanese at the bottom of the description),
            much like the "Castle of Cagliostro Eigoban" LD released within the
            same general time frame.

            -Reed Nelson
            LupintheThird.net
          • samohung98
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
              I have the boxset pictured in the yahoo auction below.

              > http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r19391150

              I could grab a short portion of the english dub track and put it
              online. Unfortunately I don't have any english Mamo DVDs, so I can't
              compare myself.

              What you guys think ?

              Tobias
            • samohung98
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                Ok, done it already.

                This a short clip from where the inspector rides on a jeep through the
                desert with some local police...

                http://pms.hazard-city.de/mamo.mp3

                Can't wait to hear which dub it is.

                Tobias

                --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, samohung98 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > I have the boxset pictured in the yahoo auction below.
                >
                > > http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r19391150
                >
                > I could grab a short portion of the english dub track and put it
                > online. Unfortunately I don't have any english Mamo DVDs, so I can't
                > compare myself.
                >
                > What you guys think ?
                >
                > Tobias

              • talesofthewolf
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                  > Ok, done it already.
                  >
                  > This a short clip from where the inspector rides on a jeep through the
                  > desert with some local police...
                  >
                  > http://pms.hazard-city.de/mamo.mp3
                  >
                  > Can't wait to hear which dub it is.
                  >
                  > Tobias

                  As I suspected, it's the 1995 Streamline Pictures version.

                  Thanks for sharing the goods!

                  -Reed Nelson
                  LupintheThird.net
                • Robert Stickles
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2006
                    Ok. We should also check the other Toho LD release to see if it has the
                    english dub on there. I should have access to my copy within a week or so,
                    but with no LD player to play it on I might have to send it to someone on
                    the list.

                    The other consideration is that only certain copies of one version of the LD
                    may have this dub (as the original blogger speculated). It may be a reissue
                    of the LD that has the 'bonus' track.

                    One last thought I have is that someone has mistaken the Streamline dub for
                    the 'HK' dub -- it's possible but I think both dubs are disctintive enough
                    to tell one from the other (character names, voic actors)