Re: [Lupin III] Re: Do you think that there will be another new Lupin tv series?

  • Robert Stickles
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
      I have to agree here. Modern Lupin stories seem to work better with the
      longer running time alloted to the Specials, Movies and OAV's. The
      difference between these three types of presentation is mostly academic now

      That being said, a 5 or 10 episode mini series with an overall story arc
      may just be what the franchise needs to get out of the rut of samey stories
      with similar villians and secondary characters we seem to be in lately.

      Here is my 'Paint by Numbers' Lupin Special:

      -Opening teaser with crazy chase or insane stunt with a cool gadget or
      disguise (and has nothing to do with main plot)
      -Opening Credits (with the same theme music used for the last decade or so)
      -Introduction of secondary characters, usually see a Lupin disguise by this
      point -- and someone from the Lupin gang encounters the primary (young)
      female character.
      -Introduction of Henchman du Jour, along with the Boss Of The Day, who have
      a run in with Lupin (who barely escapes)
      -Enter Zenegata + 1 tagalong character for hin to interact with, giving a
      warning to a secondary cast member to not underestimate Lupin.
      'The boys' run into Fujiko who has already wormed her way into close
      proximity of an important secondary character or villian (and also just
      happens to be after the same Maguffin everyone else is).
      - Usually a second skirmish with the main villians happens here, which the
      Lupin gang doesnt quite pull off but they glean some valuable info which
      Lupin puts to good use (usually by figuring out everything that is going on,
      and NOT TELLING anyone else :-). Goemon usually shows up at this point (if
      he isn't already present) and gets to cut something to aid the gang's
      escape, saying his obligatory 'worthless object' line.
      -The middle lull of the story where we usually have a Lupin stunt or some
      Zenegata comic relief.
      - a BIG PLOT is hatched whereby everyone in the Lupin gang works together
      like clockwork to infiiltrate a secure tower, building, etc. Through the
      course of this plan Zenegata realises that Lupin is the lesser of two evils
      here and they join forces (with the understanding that Lupin will be hunted
      again once this is all over)
      We have a BIG FIGHT with the villians, Goemon gets to cut things (not
      people), Jigen gets to shoot stuff (usually not people). Lupin has a face
      to face confrontation with the Boss Of the Day and/or the Henchman du Jour.
      -Somone in the secondary cast is revealed to be a blood relation to the
      primary villian or broadly hinted to be a relative of one of the Lupin gang.
      -Lupin pulls a clever last minute plot resolution out of his a** saving the
      day with the exception of ...<wait for it> ...
      -one lone secondary cast member or villian dying under tragic (and
      preventable) circumstances!!!
      -short resolution to main plot, female lead resolves their emotional issues
      with another character and everyone goes their separate ways with Zenegata
      chasing close behind.
      -Cue closing credits + new vocal song
      -Addendum, where they reveal important plot points (except hardly anyone is
      watching since they think it's OVER once the credits have rolled!)

      Can anyone name this Special? I think I saw it last year. :-)

      All kidding aside.... I think with the characters we have, it's very
      difficult to NOT have your special end up with roughly the plot structure
      and timing that I outlined above. I daresay that Monkey Punch never
      envisioned these characters lasting for so many years when he created them,
      which now is a liability for the long term survival of the franchise. The
      irony is that if they were to produce an atypical or experimental Lupin
      story it probably wouldn't go down so well with their core audience (I'm
      talking about the first-run Japanese television audience here).

      Case in point -- Return of the Magician had a very different approach with
      its computer generated art, the lack of a primary female lead (in this case
      it was Fujiko), a plot that is more cerebral (and at the same ttime more
      mystical) than your average Lupin fare, and the multiple randomly selected
      endings -- and it wasn't well recieved by the critics though the DVD sold
      out in a matter of hours because it was a 'limited collectible'. Talk about
      sending a mixed message!..

      There's very few atypical Lupin stoires for a good reason -- they proably
      would not make very watchable television..

      On 3/31/06, benenati_a <benenati4@...> wrote:

      > --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "kikaider3000"
      > <kikaider3000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I was wondering do you guys think that there will be another Lupin tv
      > > series?
      >
      > Honestly, I cannot tell. It seems like they might have finished after
      > the third TV series. I cannot imagine a nice crisp, cleanly animated
      > animated Lupin tv series, its just not right. No one can tell right
      > now, only time.
      >

      > ---
      > For more Lupin information:
      >
      > Buy Lupin merchandise from RightStuf:
      >
      > http://www.rightstuf.com/catalog/browse/link/t=toc,c=right-stuf,a=lupin-iii-encycloped
      >
      > Lupin III Encyclopedia:
      > http://www.LupinEncyclopedia.com/
      >
      > LupintheThird.net:
      > http://www.LupintheThird.net
      >
      > Lupin the Third European Page:
      > http://www.LupintheThird.info
      >
      > Thieves in Paradise (Lupin III forum):
      > http://www.setbb.com/phpbb/index.php?mforum=liii
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Giovanni Di Chiara
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
        benenati_a ha scritto:

        >--- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "kikaider3000"
        ><kikaider3000@...> wrote:
        >

        >>I was wondering do you guys think that there will be another Lupin tv
        >>series?
        >>

        >Honestly, I cannot tell. It seems like they might have finished after
        >the third TV series. I cannot imagine a nice crisp, cleanly animated
        >animated Lupin tv series, its just not right. No one can tell right
        >now, only time.

        The 4th TV series of Lupin III started 1st april of 1989, it airs on NTV
        (Nihon Terebi), for now it counts 17 episodes, running time for each one
        about 90 minutes, it serialized one episode per year, each episode is a
        TV movie, in Japan they are called TV Specials.

        P.s.: since when this new TV series has been bought by americans, NTV
        has increased budget of new productions (look at the first 4 TV specials
        respect to last one, from Alcatraz Connect till today).
      • cruzl
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2006
          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Stickles"
          <rob.ocelot@...> wrote:
          > Case in point -- Return of the Magician had a very different
          > approach with its computer generated art, the lack of a primary
          > female lead (in this case it was Fujiko), a plot that is more
          > cerebral (and at the same ttime more mystical) than your average
          > Lupin fare,

          I think you are giving RotM far too much credit; aside from the
          lack of a secondary female character, it follows the same formula
          you outlined. The plot is a bit mystical, but no more so than
          some of the other plots like "Liberty Crisis" or "Fujiko's Unlucky
          Days". And cerebral... way too generous giving it that tag. ;)

          > and the multiple randomly selected endings

          This was one of the more interesting bits of the production.

          > -- and it wasn't well recieved by the critics though the DVD sold
          > out in a matter of hours because it was a 'limited collectible'.
          > Talk about sending a mixed message!..

          The limited box set had gorgeous artwork, a soundtrack CD, and a
          CD-ROM game bundled in; add in the fact that AFAIK, no one had
          actually seen the OVA yet, there was little reason for a Lupin
          fan to pass it by on the off chance that it becomes a true
          collectible.

          > There's very few atypical Lupin stoires for a good reason -- they
          > proably would not make very watchable television..

          It's the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".

          ---
          "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love
          and be loved in return"

          Luis A. Cruz
          sprak[at]lupinencyclopedia[dot]com
          Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/