Re: [Lupin III] Lupin in 2005, a Year in Review

  • Giovanni Di Chiara
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
      springyspring ha scritto:

      >Do you have anything to add to this "year in review?" What has happened in
      >the Lupin world in your region? Share a year in review of Lupin in your
      >region
      >if you would like!

      In Italy.

      It released on DVD in Homevideo last TV specials (till First Contact,
      inclused) and also Lupin III - Return of Pycal (with 3 epilogues with
      subtitles). In newsstands, by De Agostini, it's been released 2nd
      Version of Lupin III DVD Collection (since september 2005), with in more
      the first 2 movies: "Castle of Cagliostro" and "Lupin III La pietra
      della saggezza" ("Lupin III Mistery of Mamo", in cut version with
      original english HK dub of 1978 and italian TV dub of 1986, with
      original official italian cast of Lupin III Part III). It released also
      1st PS2 game dubbed in italian with last italian official cast, "Lupin
      III Il tesoro del re stregone".

      It's been relased other volumes of new comics series made in Italy
      called "Lupin III Millennium".

      For the 2006, YamatoVideo (homevideo publisher) says that it'll release
      on DVD the 2nd TV series. For january 2006 Yamatovideo will release on
      DVD, uncut version (and remasterized), "Lupin III La pietra della
      saggezza" (originarly it planned for july 2005, but it moved more times,
      I don't know that it will go out really in January).

      bye
    • mi_blackburn_d6
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
        --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, CuteBoyNick@a... wrote:
        > Do you have anything to add to this "year in review?" What has
        happened in
        > the Lupin world in your region? Share a year in review of Lupin in
        your region
        > if you would like!

        For the UK.

        Earlier on in 2005 Manga Entertainment UK who held the lisence since
        1996 for The Castle of Cagliostro lost the lisence as well as The
        Secret of Mamo and Bye Bye Liberty Crisis (which were never released
        on DVD).

        Later on in the year the company Optimum Releasing lisenced all of
        Studio Ghibli's work including work from the directors before the
        Studio was formed. The lisecened titles included The Castle of
        Cagliostro which was released on the 17th of October and had all of
        the features of the Japanese DVD but had true English subtitles (not
        dubtitles).

        Apart from that, nothing much has really happened in the UK to do
        with Lupin. Hopefully one of the companies will pick up the Secret
        of Mamo lisence like what Madman Entertainment did for Australia.
      • jthegamefan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
          Great year in review retrospective. I think Funimation really stepped
          up to the plate this year with their Lupin releases, as the production
          values increased for them whenever possible, and the cast really got
          into a groove with the characters. Geneon's releases were consistent,
          but I can't help but feel that they're just treading water with them.
          I'd love it if they sped up the release schedule, given how massive
          the second series is. Discotek is the wild card for '06. There are
          so many questions to be asked about their releases, it's hard not to
          be excited about them. It would be nice to have three companies
          behind Lupin's anime releases, and it wouldn't hurt for some of them
          to be on UMD either, as it's still a growing market, and Lupin could
          catch on easier given the lack of crowding in the UMD market.
        • Robert Stickles
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2006
            On 1/1/06, mi_blackburn_d6 <MIBlackburn_d6@...> wrote:

            > Later on in the year the company Optimum Releasing lisenced all of
            > Studio Ghibli's work including work from the directors before the
            > Studio was formed. The lisecened titles included The Castle of
            > Cagliostro which was released on the 17th of October and had all of
            > the features of the Japanese DVD but had true English subtitles (not
            > dubtitles).

            Did this release include the cleaned up print and both disks (with the
            second disk being the storyboard animatics)?

            Also, has Amazon UK or any other UK retailer (Blackstar?) carrying it yet?

            Regards,
            Rob S.

          • mi_blackburn_d6
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2006
              --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, Robert Stickles
              <rob.ocelot@g...> wrote:

              > Did this release include the cleaned up print and both disks (with
              the
              > second disk being the storyboard animatics)?
              >
              > Also, has Amazon UK or any other UK retailer (Blackstar?)
              carrying it yet?

              The DVD release has the new anamorpic print which is much cleaner
              when I compared it to the Manga Entertainment DVD I have but it is a
              NTSC to PAL conversion so there are a couple of problems but nothing
              major.

              It is also only a one disc release but Optimum Releasing have put
              the storyboards on a second angle so you can switch between the
              finished film and the storyboards.

              Amazon UK and Sendit.com (Blackstar's new name) both have the DVD
              but I would go for Sendit as it is £5 cheaper.
            • BlackSiamese@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
                I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but I found
                this info about the First Series on www.phuuz.com :

                PROJECT : Lupin III (1st season)CLIENT : Geneon Entertainment / Cartoon NetworkDESCRIPTION OF WORK : Supervision of the localization (English adaptation) of the series for
                American DVD release and airing on Cartoon Network for their segment, ?Adult Swim?

                I hope this comes to be.

                that FUNimation, or even Geneon, picks up the 2001-2005 Lupin TV specials,
                and possibly the 1st TV series. I personally hope that Discotek media enlists
                the Geneon cast for their Lupin dubs.

              • Robert Stickles
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2006
                  On 1/3/06, BlackSiamese@... <BlackSiamese@...> wrote:

                  > I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but I found
                  > this info about the First Series on www.phuuz.com :
                  >
                  > PROJECT : Lupin III (1st season)CLIENT : Geneon Entertainment / Cartoon
                  > NetworkDESCRIPTION OF WORK : Supervision of the localization (English
                  > adaptation) of the series for
                  > American DVD release and airing on Cartoon Network for their segment,
                  > ?Adult Swim?
                  >
                  > I hope this comes to be.

                  This might be misleading. What Geneon and CN refer to as ''Season 1' of
                  Lupin III is the first block of 26 episodes of Shin Lupin (Series II). This
                  isn't Lupin Sansei (Series I)

                  Sorry to get your hopes up. :-(