Pioneer.

  • eclipsemagman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
      This is great news. I never would've thought Lupin would be on
      TV here in America, but it's nice to know someone is thinking
      outside Dragon Ball and that kind of tripe. However, I have one
      major concern: censoring. Since Lupin occasionally has
      questionable race happenings in the movies as well as Lupin's
      repeated sexual advances to Fujiko, I wonder if all of this stuff
      will be axed for a more mainstream audience. If it is, at least a
      uncensored DVD would be welcome.

      So, if I read your message right, Pioneer has the TV series and
      the four movies? Cool, if so.

      Chris
    • talesofthewolf
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2002
        > This is great news. I never would've thought Lupin would be on
        > TV here in America, but it's nice to know someone is thinking
        > outside Dragon Ball and that kind of tripe. However, I have one
        > major concern: censoring. Since Lupin occasionally has
        > questionable race happenings in the movies as well as Lupin's
        > repeated sexual advances to Fujiko, I wonder if all of this stuff
        > will be axed for a more mainstream audience. If it is, at least a
        > uncensored DVD would be welcome.

        I wouldn't be surprised if some elements were edited even on, say, an
        Adult Swim run. There would be heavier edits were it to run on, say,
        Toonami (blood, racial discrim., nudity, more sexual lines). If
        Pioneer expects to make the $112 Million they hope to, they may have
        get it run on a widely acessible block like Toonami to give it more
        public awareness. Adult Swim would help it garner attention, but I
        don't think it would get as much.
        I think we can all assume that uncensored DVD's (and maybe
        VHS....Pioneer still makes subtitled and dubbed VHS) for "Lupin the
        Third" are on the way.

        > So, if I read your message right, Pioneer has the TV series and
        > the four movies? Cool, if so.

        Well, they supposedly have A movie. It's probably "The Mystery of
        Mamo," and unlikely to be the '74 live film, or the 15-minute Pilot
        Film. "Die! Nostradamus," "Dead or Alive," "Cagliostro," "Fuma Clan,"
        and "Babylon" are already acquired by other companies Stateside.
        They also appear to own 4 of the TV specials. Most likely those are
        the first 4 Osamu Dezaki-directed ones (Bye Bye Liberty, Hemingway,
        Napoleon, and Russia--1989 through 1992).

        They do seem to also have the 3 TV series in full. Expect the
        official announcement of the Lupin acquisition (with hopefully more
        details) at the "L!censing" convention, which begins on June 11th.

        -Reed Nelson