Re: Slight question on mindset of certain characters....

  • innocentkiss84
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
      I think that Jigen and Goemon are Lupin's bodyguards and friends.
      Fujiko is just there to be sexy.

      I don't really consider her Lupin's lover, girlfriend, soulmate, or
      whatever sweet label you want to call her. I will always think of
      them as friendly rivals, even if they get married (and the day that
      happens, the Lupin franchise dies).

      I also don't consider Fujiko to be Lupin's "downfall." It is all
      part of the sexy game they play. Sometimes Fujiko takes his
      treasure, sometimes he outsmarts her...

      Jigen and Goemon are only mildly annoyed with her, a bit more so if
      she is interfering with their profits. You get annoyed too when your
      friend acts differently around someone they're into. You don't stop
      hanging out with your friend because they have a stupid crush.

      --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "jldaly6713"
      <hippiegirl91386@a...> wrote:
      > I'm into psychology, and this show's a perfect example of
      different
      > types of mental archtypes. I have my own theories on why these two
      > bother to hang around, but I'd like some other opinions...
    • Roman Lavochnik
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
        <hippiegirl91386@a...> wrote:
        > Ever since I got into Lupin, I've always wondered why Jigen and
        > Goemon remained so loyal to him, even after constantly running off
        > Fujiko, who will only cause his downfall....
        > Are they bored?
        > Do they have no families to go home to (or, in Jigen's case, any
        > family who is alive probably wants him dead, anyway...).
        > They can't find any good hobbies to pursue?
        > I know it's a sorta stupid question, but I'd like people's opinion
        of
        > this...
        > I'm into psychology, and this show's a perfect example of different
        > types of mental archtypes. I have my own theories on why these two
        > bother to hang around, but I'd like some other opinions...
        I think that responses to this question were all very interesting
        and intelligent and I tend to agree with the majority of them. I view
        Lupin's and Fujiko's relationship as deeply sexual (even if it is not
        very obvious on the surface level). I think that they just like to
        tease each other and play games (this was confirmed my one of the
        Mokey Punch's interviews that I read). I think that deep inside they
        really care about each other and because they've known each other for
        as long as they did they feel as though they have to look after each
        other. That doesen't stop Fujiko from being "strong and independent"
        (as one of the previous posters had mentioned). She knows that her
        sexy body as her best weapon and being sexy is what she is good at (I
        also think that deep inside Jigen and Goemon can relate to Lupin's
        weaknesses because they too find Fujiko to be very attractive. They
        are not blind after all ;) ).
        As for Jigen and Goemon I think that they admire the fact that Lipin
        is real professional. It's just a guy thing. They are professiols
        themselves and would not allow themselves to hang out with some
        immature. They also think it is their duty to remind Lupin of who he
        is. Above all, they are all GREAT freinds. They've survived so many
        things together and saved each other's lives so many times already
        that there's no way that something can possibly come between them.
        There's a another thing that I think nobody mentioned and it is the
        importance of Lupin's heritage. I think that Goemon (who's many
        predecessors have all been samurai) can relate Lupin III's (oh the
        importance of #III ;) ) heritage and respects the fact that Lupin
        III doesen't forget where he came from and who his famous granndaddy
        was. This is very important for a man from the east.
      • cruzl
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
          <hippiegirl91386@a...> wrote:
          > Ever since I got into Lupin, I've always wondered why Jigen and
          > Goemon remained so loyal to him, even after constantly running off to
          > Fujiko, who will only cause his downfall....

          Goemon's an easy one to figure out. While he is loathe to admit it,
          Lupin is one of the most worthy adversaries he has encountered. Lupin
          also draws other larger than life characters to him providing Goemon
          with plenty of opportunities to hone his skills.

          He has vowed that only he will kill Lupin partly because of Lupin's
          great skills and partly because he does not want to be shamed by not
          being able to avenge his losses (or draws depending on how you want to
          look at it) to him. What infuriates him is the fact that Lupin is so
          skilled but so undisciplined; after dedicating his life to training to
          be the best, why should he continually be foiled by such a perverted
          man.

          Jigen is a tougher one to figure out; I'm not convinced he sees
          himself as a father figure to Lupin. He rarely attempts to dissuade
          Lupin from doing anything. The Fujiko issue bothers him more I think
          because he hates seeing her continually reap the rewards of his and
          Lupin's hard work. The manga did state that Jigen had a brother
          that was killed, and I imagine he has seen his fair share of blood.
          I think he hangs around Lupin because Lupin rarely takes anything
          too seriously. Lupin just enjoys life, and Jigen finds this attitude
          refreshing and infectious.

          Just my 10 yen.

          ---
          "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be
          loved in return"

          Luis A. Cruz
          sprak[at)lupinencyclopedia(dot]com
          Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
          Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/
        • bosdadichi
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 1, 2003
            The reason they stay with Lupin, is, simply, that HE IS A GENIUS!

            That's hard to find.

            And dear, sweet, well-endowed Fujiko stays with him for the same reason.

            yours,
            bosdadichi