R2 Stuff

  • DANIEL ZELTER
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
    • DANIEL ZELTER
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
        Someone at
        http://forums.animeondvd.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=region234&Number=60231&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
        posted the following boxset coming from Japan on October 24. It's going for
        about $140, will include Mamo, Babylon, "The intrigue of the evil spirit
        whole family of the third RUPAN style"(Hell if I know THAT one!), and the tv
        pilots. I'm guessing there's also some bonus tracks and openings and
        endings.

      • cruzl
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "DANIEL ZELTER"
          <danielzelter@h...> wrote:
          > posted the following boxset coming from Japan on October 24. It's
          > going for about $140, will include Mamo, Babylon, "The intrigue of the

          *breathes into a bag* Okay... Okay... hold it together... WOW! WAHOO!

          OK, got that out of my system. Many things to note about this.

          1. The set does include Mamo, Babylon, Fuma, and both Secret Files
          releases.

          2. It appears that Mamo, Babylon, and Fuma will all be anamorphic
          (16:9 enhanced). We knew Mamo would be, and Babylon isn't really a
          surprise. But Fuma in 16:9? Wow...

          3. CD Japan is listing the set (w/o much details) as a "limited
          release". They did this for the initial box set of "Magician" as
          well. So, I would recommend pre-ordering this set as soon as you
          can.
          http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TDV-2735D

          4. Some nifty extras in this box as well. Looks like you will get
          pocket sized reissues of the theater programs for the films, some
          sort of booklet, and a gallery of Otsuka Yasuo illustrations.

          5. Why does great info. like this always appear right after I post
          the newsletter?!

          OK, I figured they would be releasing Mamo in Japan finally this
          year, but this has blown me away. Again, it does appear like it will
          be a limited release like the TV DVD boxes and "Magician". Pre-order
          early if you want to grab a copy.

          I can see Mamo, Babylon, and Fuma all being released separately at a
          later date, but this might be the only way to grab the Secret Files
          on DVD. Again, WOW! This means that all of the Lupin back catalog
          will be on DVD in Japan finally.

          ---
          "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in
          return"

          Luis A. Cruz
          sprak@...
          Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
          Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
            On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:34:52 -0000, "cruzl" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
            said:
            > --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "DANIEL ZELTER"
            > <danielzelter@h...> wrote:
            > > posted the following boxset coming from Japan on October 24. It's
            > > going for about $140, will include Mamo, Babylon, "The intrigue of the
            >
            > *breathes into a bag* Okay... Okay... hold it together... WOW! WAHOO!
            >
            > OK, got that out of my system. Many things to note about this.
            >
            > 1. The set does include Mamo, Babylon, Fuma, and both Secret Files
            > releases.

            Argh, why can't the R2 Japan releases have english subs?...(well, I know
            why... I just don't have to like it?). Who knows, maybe a deal could be
            struck because all three films have been subtitled commercially.

            > 2. It appears that Mamo, Babylon, and Fuma will all be anamorphic
            > (16:9 enhanced). We knew Mamo would be, and Babylon isn't really a
            > surprise. But Fuma in 16:9? Wow...

            Wasn't Fuma originally an OAV (basicaly a direct to video release) so it
            would be in 4:3. This doesn't preclude it being made in 16:9 but what's
            more likely is that when they decided to release it in theaters they
            matted it to make it widescreen. In essence the 'widescreen' version of
            the film will have less picture than the 4:3.

            The Cinemascope (Panavision) version of the Pilot Film may also be
            anamorphic, as they originally intended to produce a theatrical film,
            with the Pilot as sort of 'teaser'. It never saw theaters until it was
            used as a opening short for Mamo in 1978.

            Regards,
            Rob S.

          • cruzl
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
              --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rob_ocelot@f...> wrote:
              > Wasn't Fuma originally an OAV (basicaly a direct to video release)
              > so it would be in 4:3. This doesn't preclude it being made in 16:9
              > but what's more likely is that when they decided to release it in
              > theaters they matted it to make it widescreen. In essence the
              > 'widescreen' version of the film will have less picture than the
              > 4:3.

              Yeah, I am wondering about that myself. From the DiscStation listing
              that was posted in the AoD thread, it seems like all three will be
              16:9 as that is all it says at the top of the listing. The CD Japan
              listing also only states 16:9 as the aspect ratio for the box.

              Since it is still early, this may change as more information is
              officially released, but I am willing to wager that Fuma will be
              using the matted theatrical version.

              It will be interesting to compare this version versus AnimEigo's
              version to see how much info. is actually lost (not too mention how
              the video transfers stack up against each other).

              ---

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                In my excitement, I spoke in haste; once the set is released, there
                will still be one title that has yet to be placed on DVD. That would
                be "Trailers History" from Vap; Vap has yet to throw that on DVD.

                ---

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                  On Mon, 02 Jun 2003 18:41:06 -0000, "cruzl" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
                  said:
                  > In my excitement, I spoke in haste; once the set is released, there
                  > will still be one title that has yet to be placed on DVD. That would
                  > be "Trailers History" from Vap; Vap has yet to throw that on DVD.

                  Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that, care to elaborate?
                  (yes, there is a piece of Lupin III video footage that I *don't* know
                  about!) ;-)

                  I suspect it's the trailer reel that formed the rest of The Secret Files,
                  along with the opening and closing themes/credits for the TV and movies.
                  Prove me wrong :-)

                  What I'd like to see in engish is Tatsunoko Pro's _Secret of the 813_,
                  while not specifcally a Lupin III anime the final events of the story
                  form the backstory of _Secret of Twilight Gemini_. It would make a great
                  compantion piece and I don't believe there are any Leblanc Estate issues
                  with it.

                  Who knows, nmaybe we could see a realase of The Alice Files in the US (if
                  something as incomprehansible at first viewing as FLCL can be released in
                  the US for 30 bucks a pop for two episodes, there has to be room for
                  Alice!)

                  Regards,
                  Rob S.

                • cruzl
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                    --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rob_ocelot@f...> wrote:
                    > Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that, care to elaborate?

                    Yes, yes I will.

                    > I suspect it's the trailer reel that formed the rest of The Secret
                    > Files, along with the opening and closing themes/credits for the TV
                    > and movies.
                    > Prove me wrong :-)

                    The "Trailers History" release contains... trailers; it has all the
                    trailers for every TV episode, special, and movie (except "Fuma
                    Conspiracy") up to 1994.

                    > Who knows, nmaybe we could see a realase of The Alice Files in the

                    I have yet to see a listing for that on R2 DVD; do you know of any
                    shops that carry it (DVD, LD, or VHS)?

                    One pill makes you smaller... one pill makes you tall... the pill
                    that your mother gives you, doesn't do anything at all... go ask
                    Alice, when she's ten feet tall...

                    ---
                    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in
                    return"

                    Luis A. Cruz
                    sprak@...
                    Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
                    Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/
                  • Dale Engelhardt
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 2, 2003
                      Well, all you lucky owners of the regionless playing DVD players, or actual R2 DVD players can once again snub your noses at us R1 only owners. I'd be happy too if I were one, and had that kind of moolah! I'd be happy if someone would show me Episode 0 , or The Return of Pycal.
                      x Mr. Lupin

                      cruzl <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                      I can see Mamo, Babylon, and Fuma all being released separately at a
                      later date, but this might be the only way to grab the Secret Files
                      on DVD. Again, WOW! This means that all of the Lupin back catalog
                      will be on DVD in Japan finally.

                      ---
                      "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in
                      return"

                      Luis A. Cruz
                      sprak@...
                      Lupin III Encyclopedia: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/
                      Anime Video Game Resource Center: http://www.lupinencyclopedia.com/avrc/

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • unclejun76
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
                        Do any of you big dogs know of a way to get in touch with the people
                        making this DVD? I would love to get this set, but unfortunately it
                        doesn't make sense for me to get it (especially at that price) if it
                        won't have English subs (or dubs).

                        However, it does make sense for them to include English in this boxset
                        since all the subs and dubs *already exist* for the three films (I'll
                        live without English for Secret files). I bought the R2 Cagliostro
                        DVD and would gladly (ecstaticly) buy this set also if English were
                        included.

                        I'd love to be able to show them, hopefully via this group, how much
                        Lupin fandom has grown on our side of the globe. Maybe they aren't
                        including English because they don't see us as a viable market. Let's
                        show them that we are. I think all we'd need is a contact point to
                        get started. So, anyone know of one?
                      • cruzl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2003
                          --- In lupinthethird@yahoogroups.com, "unclejun76" <rsbrogna@w...> wrote:
                          > Do any of you big dogs know of a way to get in touch with the people
                          > making this DVD?

                          Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts at Toho. You could try
                          combing their site (toho.co.jp) for email addresses.

                          > doesn't make sense for me to get it (especially at that price) if it
                          > won't have English subs (or dubs).

                          Well, remember that an official announcement hasn't been made yet
                          about the DVD (I've combed Toho's site; I can't find any mention
                          of it yet). CD Japan has the barest amount of detail; it is
                          possible that the release will have English on it in some form.

                          However, I don't think it will be too likely except for Mamo. More
                          on that below.

                          > However, it does make sense for them to include English in this
                          > boxset since all the subs and dubs *already exist* for the three
                          > films

                          <snip>

                          > Lupin fandom has grown on our side of the globe. Maybe they aren't
                          > including English because they don't see us as a viable market.

                          I don't think it is a matter of them not seeing us (or US for a
                          clever turn of capitalization) as a viable market for Lupin. The
                          fact that Funimation shelled out for ten titles combined with the
                          Hollywood connection and the fact that Pioneer shelled out for video
                          and TV broadcast rights for the second series is proof that there is
                          an audience for Lupin here.

                          However, this is not the market they are trying to reach with this
                          release. Cagliostro has a broader audience that goes beyond Lupin
                          fans so it makes sense to include the English dub (which they
                          probably got from Orion for a cheap sum anyway); these films don't
                          have that same broad audience. It probably is not worth the time
                          and money for them to negotiate the rights to the English dubs
                          and/or sub scripts and then master them onto the DVDs, especially
                          for a set they want to market as a "limited edition".

                          Mamo is a possible exception to this though; the licensor could
                          easily have written into their contract with Pioneer that they get
                          to use the English dub/sub script in exchange for Pioneer using the
                          anamorphic print. For Babylon and Fuma, the ink has been dry far
                          too long on the AnimEigo contract for me to see the licensor
                          trying to negotiate for the use of their dub/sub script.

                          I think the lack of English dub/sub is not really the limiting factor
                          here though. There are plenty of ways to add subs to R2 discs
                          (DVDSubber, etc.); what really hurts is the fact that it is a limited
                          edition item. If you don't pre-order now, you'll pretty much have
                          to get gouged on eBay or Yahoo Japan to get a set after it streets.

                          But that's just my 10 yen. Talk amongst yourselves.

                          ---