theatre of the oppressed workshop

  • Maggie Block
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2007
      Hello Chicago theatre students and activists, my name is Maggie Block I am a third year student at DePaul’s Theatre School. I spent my last quarter doing an independent study on the revolutionary theatre work of Augusto Boal, the founder of theatre of the oppressed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Boal). I am very interested in using his techniques and performance style in action, in what I’m calling the Boal Workshop.

      This is a project for theatre kids who want to do more social conscious and/or guerilla style theatre work, you do not have to be activists. Or activists who want a different tool box for actions, or are interested in using performance for social justice. Or anyone who reads this and is intrigued or excited by what they’re reading.

      In the Boal workshop we will meet once a week on Fridays from 6-9pm from March 30- June 1, do readings, try out Boal games and exercises. After we have a good feels for Boal’s work, ideas, and how we can use them tweek them, then the group would decide what kind of actions we would take, which could include:
      Guerilla performance activism
      Guerilla street theatre
      Invisible theatre
      Forum theatre community projects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Boal#Forum_Theatre)
      Forum theatre education projects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augusto_Boal#Forum_Theatre)
      Way to bring Boals ideas to the media age (tv, youtube…)
      Whatever else we can think of!
      The first round of performances we will mount as part of DePaul Theatre School’s Wrights of Spring, a one week festival of new play May 14- June 3.

      I am looking for ten people who are passionate about this idea, have time in their day-to-day life to read 20- 50 pages a week (skimming is totally acceptable), and not miss our weekly meetings. We will work as a focus group, figure out what games are the best, what conversations move us forward, what readings are truly useful, and what performances are positive and exciting; with the eventual goal of having the Chicago Boal program be a permanent fixture in Chicago.

      If you are interested please email chicagoboalproject@.... If you cannot participate during the dates mentioned please email as well, I will add you to the list serve and let you know about future opportunities.

      Need Mail bonding?