Re: [lunar-observing] lunar top 40/Copernicus

  • Michael Wirths
    Message 1 of 13 , May 6, 2012
      Thanks very much Christian!!

      I'm adding an image of Copericus too from the same night

      Christian I'm trying out a new image sharing resource for astronomers, so I added a page there for all my recent images, you can see them here:

      As for the dob, yes its tracking is an alt/az so that limits my capture time to about 90 seconds. One day I may invest in an eq platform.

      take care

      Mike
      Message 2 of 13 , May 6, 2012
        Hi Mike,

        I have no words for this image - it blows me away! Easily the best amateur image of Copernicus I've ever seen. You recorded some incredibly small detail in that image. Congratulations!

        Regards, Bob

        Message 3 of 13 , May 7, 2012

          Thanks a bunch Bob!! You would have been astounded if you saw what the seeing looked like!

          I know you think about and experiment with lunar imaging a lot, I just watched this super talk you did and found a few things to comment on:

           I think you know my setup is pretty much the same as Wes Higgins, even though my Lumenera camera is the slightly larger chip (1616X1216) with the 4.4 um pixel size. Back in Canada I never was able to use my 4X's powermate due to the seeing. Even so with my alt/az drive I always limited my capture time due to field rotation.
          Now however programs such as the new Regitax and Avistack (I use Avistack version 2) can compensete, but I wonder what the limitations are? With the 4X's barlow my image scale is 0.11"/pixel so I limit capture time to about 90 seconds, at full frame with 11 or so FPS this only gives me 1100 frames to work with. Even so the ser files are BIG, like 3-4 Gig! Do you think the software could handle me pushing it to 2-3 minutes? Guess just have to give it a try!!

          I like to capture in 12 bit mode as I find it gives the image an added depth to tonality and it does not have a big hit in framerate.

          Also with respect to filters I use the True Tech R/IR filter but I think perhaps this session I should have tried the green (I'd save the blue for perfect seeing) what in your opinion would be the amount of resolution improvement? Is there perhaps a new filter set that lets more light through? I heard Stefan Lammel talk once that a Baader set had a lot more light throughput....

          On the topic of sharpening, are you still convinced about the performance of Focusmagic? I myself really like the combination of PS smartsharpen followed by a light unsharpmask...

          I think there may be some chipsets on the horizon that will give much better dynamic range to cameras, this might alleviate some of the odd artifacts that still surface especially imaging crater rims that go from super brightly lit to complete shadow. I'm no expert by any means when it comes to electronics but I do feel theres still lots of room for improvement for the technology of lunar/planetary cams!

          cheers

          Message 4 of 13 , May 9, 2012

            Hi Mike,

            I don't know about AviStack's file size limit, but I've used Registax R6 to process files that are a little less than 4GB. I don't know if it could process bigger ones - I vaguely recall that maybe that's a limit but my memory could very well be wrong.

            I also remember Stefan saying that the Baader filters let in more light. He seemed to like them quite a bit. It would be particularly good if they achieved that with better coatings rather than just widening the bandwidth. My G filter (from Custom Scientific) lets in more light (or maybe it's that the camera is more sensitive there) than the B or R filter for a little shorter exposure.

            Several times I tried imaging with R, G and B filters in succession and in good seeing the B always won out with G being midway between. However, the seeing has to be good enough to support the filter - I can just tell from seeing the live stream on the monitor whether it's worth trying - fairly fine detail needs to be visible reasonably often. However, I also found that I got much better results when I pushed the number of frames higher. With the B filter I settled on 9000 frames probably cause I was too impatient to wait for more. I initially started imaging with 3000 but ended up getting significantly better results collecting more frames. Your seeing must have been fab in order to get that kind of image with only 1100 frames collected. I'm envious : ) . Theory says the size of the diffraction disk is proportional to the wavelength of light, so blue and to a lesser extent green would have a significant advantage over R, but I couldn't ever achieve quite what theory predicted and that's probably due to the impact shorter wavelengths have on seeing conditions.

            I never found anything better than a weak Registax wavelet followed by FocusMagic, but I haven't searched around for a number of years. I've never even tried PS's smart sharpen on lunar images - I'll have to give it a try!

            I'm not sure exactly what sharpening artifacts you are referring to. I know I get crescent shaped bright arcs inside sunlit crater rims (and sometimes outside) next to shadowed crater floors. My understanding is that these are so-called 'ringing' artifacts that sharpening produces - I normally go in and edit them out afterwards - quite a pain. I'm not sure I understand how a camera with better DR could affect that, but I sure wish there was some way to avoid these artifacts.

            Definitely looking forward to more of your images in the future!

            Regards, Bob

            Message 5 of 13 , May 10, 2012

              Oh I know what else I wanted to ask you, do you ever use curves on your lunar images? I myself do not, I use a bit of levels but mostly the PS shadow/highlights function to find that "right" tonality

              Message 6 of 13 , May 11, 2012
                Hi Mike,

                I've used anything I can find in PS that can help manipulate tonality : ) . PS Shadow/highlights I find works very well but sometimes I'll use curves as a layer with a gradient mask if I want to gradually lighten an image from one side to another. I also use levels but mostly to set the black and white point if necessary. I just purchased Lightroom 4 for my terrestrial photography and it's terrific and I believe it's going to help with adjusting tonality in lunar images. It gives better control than S/H does.

                Regards, Bob

                Message 7 of 13 , May 12, 2012

                  Hi Bob, and all,

                    I know what you mean by getting a feel for judging the live stream on the monitor, you just need to get about 20% of the capture to have that snapped-in detail.

                   Talking about the artifacts, yes thats what I mean the arcs inside of brightly lit crater rims. I have a single unprocessed frame of my Copernicus capture here:

                  At the bottom of the frame just above Gay -Lussac theres an example of this effect, you can faintly see inside the rim is a line of light. So the question is, is this a camera deficiency (lack of dynamic range perhaps) or is it a real phenomena? Could this be reflected light from the lit rim slightly lighting up the interior?  Subsequent sharpening concentrates this area into an arc, making it seem exaggerated.
                   What I mean (and again I'm no camera tech geek) by attributing this to a lack in camera dynamic range (my camera has 66 Db DR) is that its inability to capture this possibly real effect  is due to not being able to see a more subtle gradation of light because of the extreme light/dark situation.
                   My feeling is (and its just an intuition) that more sensitive cameras with perhaps twice the dynamic range will help to give us more realistic capture possiblities. Theres some talk out there about CMOS cameras based on the sapphire chipsets. Anybody have any thoughts about these "ringing" artifacts maybe they are not artifacts at all.....

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 13, 2012
                    Hi Mike,

                    Not strictly related to lunar imaging, but I've been doing some solar imaging recently using Baader Photographic Filter film - it allows too much light through for visual use but great for video. Seeing of course is worse during the day so in a five minute interval there were only 3 or 4 seconds of excellent seeing with the rest fuzzed at least a little. The cool thing was that there is soooooo.....  much light that the camera gain can be very low - much, much lower than I ever can do with lunar - and still have a very short exposure time of about 1/1200 sec. The resulting image only needed a stack size of 10 and there was still no noise visible on the sharpened image! Ah, if only it were so for lunar and planetary images.

                    With regard to 'ringing' artifacts - there probably are two things going on. As you showed on that single frame, there are times when the crater floor looks like it might be illuminated by reflected light, and better dynamic range I imagine would help by allowing a longer exposure without blowing out hilites - or is there something else I don't understand about DR that would help here. However, I see those crescent artifacts and just in general sometimes bright lines following along inside crater rims after sharpening that don't seem to bear any relationship to a possible reflected light situation. In either case it sure would be nice to get rid of them without having to edit them out manually : ) .

                    Regards, Bob

[...]

                  • viladrich christian
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 14, 2012
                      Thanks for the link Mike.

                      Have you ever considered to add an image rotator to your Dob ?
                      http://www.optecinc.com/astronomy/catalog/pyxis/pyxis_le.htm

                      This would eliminate the need for an eq platform, but this is still an option to be validated.

                      Cheers

                      Christian

                    Message 10 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                      Hi All,

                      Some inputs on interesting existing or new  sensors :
                      - The ICX 285 is very interesting with its 6.5 microns pixels, 1392 x 1040 pixels, 11.2 bits dynamic range, 7.1 max signal / noise and 30 fps.
                      - The new ICX 674, looks also very promising : 4.54 microns, 1932 x 1452 pixels, 10.6 bits dynamic range, unknown S/N and > 25 fps

                      But prices are not really low :-(

                      Best

                      Christian

                      Message 11 of 13 , May 15, 2012
                        Hi,

                        Yes, theory says that turbulence increases when the wavelength decreases (inverse to power 1.2).
                        For example, turbulence is 55% greater in blue light than in red light. This is why it is more difficult to get good images in blue light than in red light.

                        Message 12 of 13 , May 16, 2012
                          Thanks for the link Christian! Well it would be cheaper and no need to polar align every time I move my scope. Plus a derotater could be used on both my scopes. I will look into it some more

                          thanks

                          Message 13 of 13 , May 16, 2012
                            The use with an alt-azimuth mount seems straight forward :

                            http://www.optecinc.com/astronomy/catalog/pyxis/pyxis_more.htm

                            Please let us know if you try it.

                            Christian