Re: [lunar-observing] Vallis Alpes

  • bob_p@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
      Hi Tony,

      Thanks for your feedback!

      For this image I used the new program AviStack for quality grading/aligning/stacking and Registax beta for wavelets. I found that at least for this image I got more details in the floor of the Vallis with AviStack than I could get using Regisax beta. The Yahoo AviStack forum has had posts of several comparisons. You can find my comparison using this AVI at - http://www.pbase.com/bob_p/image/106528987/original .

      Regarding the Registax beta, I did find a direct improvement in image detail when using the new quality assessment algorithm, Gradient2. For me it did a better job than Gradient, and others on the beta test team have remarked on this also. Of course there are a number of other improvements in the Regisatx beta that I believe will enable folks to get better results than they would have with V4.

      Regards, Bob

      Message 2 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
        Hi Stefan, thank you! I have an image of Jannsen I've been working on that in only one orientation are some details visible for me. It's like they aren't even there in other orientations or they take on an entirely different look. I think you are right that it's in the shadows and orientation of the light source and how an individual's brain reacts. Maybe it's even different for different people.

        Regards, Bob

        Great result Bob, a beautiful view! I also like it this way up somehow, perhaps its a combination of the fall of the shadows plus the added interest of a different perspective that the eye finds to its liking.

        Regards,
        Stefan

        Message 3 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
          That's very interesting. I'll have to join the AVIStack forum and start to keep an eye on that development. I do have the software installed, I just need new uncompressed data to give it a go as I haven't found a way to convert my old compressed files to pure Y8 that the software will accept.

          Tony

          Message 4 of 22 , Dec 5, 2008
            The moon was amazing tonight. I was looking at Vallis Alpes and
            thinking about how difficult it is to see the rille, and yet how easy
            you guys make it look with your remarkable photographs. I love your work.

            Rob
          • Edward Roach
            Message 5 of 22 , Dec 9, 2008
              Wonderful image Bob! I think your 8" scope is bigger than mine:)

              Regards,
              Ed Roach

              Message 6 of 22 , Dec 10, 2008
                Hi Ed, thanks very much! I was lucky to have a couple hours of really excellent seeing.

                Regards, Bob