Club Float Report May 3,2003 Lumber River

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2003
      After meeting at Hardees in Maxton and running a shuttle, five LRCC
      members and one amazing dog put in the Lumber at the Alma crossing.
      Launch time was about 11:00 AM . Water level at the Maxton gage read
      9.75 feet this morning. Paddleing was easy with good current. There
      were several obstacles encountered but none that we could not get
      around, under, with some pruning, or over. There were some logs just
      under water that would be troublesome at lower levels. At about 1:00
      PM Frank and Jim found a place on river left where we stopped for
      lunch. On the lunch break , Charles and his dog Holly entertained us
      with amazing pet tricks. Much later we took a second break at
      the "wire pasture" When we got to the takeout at "Red Banks" there
      were young folks swiming and jumping from the bridge.
      It felt good to be on the river with good friends on a beautiful day.
      The group today included Susan Covington, Jim De Pree, Frank
      Dupin,Charles West and "Holly" , and Marshall Thompson, the trip
      leader.