Little Pee Dee Trip Report 14-16 Mar 03

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2003
      On Friday, 3/14/03, the campers hit the Little Pee Dee State Park, 11
      miles SE of Dillon, SC and set up camp. Cleon Lanier and friend Pat,
      Charles West, Marianne Hartman, Don & Sandy Meece, and Mike Britt were
      the only ones at the campground from the club. Mike set up camp and
      returned that night to Mt Gilead, NC to pick up Liz and Blackie, and
      return in the morning. We sat around the fire and then ate supper.
      Cleon and Pat fixed a late supper of neck bones and rice and invited
      everyone for a bowl. I heard it was really good. Most of the night
      was spent sitting around the fire in good fellowship. Saturday,
      3/15/03, we were joined by Wayne & Lynda Charles, Grant, Mary, & Tom
      Florian and Conan, and friend Billie Bauer, and Mike & Liz Britt and
      Blackie returned. All of us put in at the park access area near the
      campground across from Blow Horn Rd. and made the shuttle to Hwy 41
      approximately five miles away. Due to the high water we could not go
      all the way to put in at the end of the road. Weather was clear but a
      little cold and no rain at the time of the put in although people kept
      out the rain gear. Later in the paddle the rains came, not heavy but
      steady. We had lunch at an old road on river right in the rain. We
      made the take out in early afternoon and came back to the park.
      Marianne had to work on Sunday so she left and Wayne & Lynda put a
      tent up on Marianne's dry spot where here tent was. The Florian's
      left along with their friend Billie, and Grant settled in to stay with
      Charles. We kept the fire going all night in the rain and stood
      around it in ponchos and rain gear and umbrellas, it was GREAT! That
      night the rain still came down and made for good sleeping. On Sunday,
      I did a shuttle for Wayne & Lynda and Grant and they put in at Pee Dee
      Park landing and paddled down to the Park. Charles paddled on Sunday
      around the lake in the park. The rest of us packed up to leave in the
      sunshine. Despite the rain it was an enjoyable weekend and a fairly
      good turnout with five canoes and six kayaks.