Meeting about Clearing Lumber River

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2003
      On Wednesday, Mar. 13 I attended a meeting called by Robeson County
      manager T.Y. Hester about clearing the Lumber in Robeson County. .
      Others present included James Sessons and Neill Lee from Lumber river
      State Park. a representitive from congresman Mike McIntire's office,
      Greg Walker Executive Director of Cape Fear Resource Conservation and
      Dev. Corp.,
      and a few others.
      We all agreed that we want to protect the natural condition of the
      river while keeping it open for canoes, creek boats, jon boats, and
      other small craft. We talked about trying to get money to contract
      out a river clearing. It was also suggested that the river could then
      be maintained by having various groups adopt a section and keep it
      clear.In example, the Lumber river Canoe Club could select a section
      to keep clear. That of course is something we would have to approve
      by a vote.
      Park Superintendent James Sessoms and Ranger Neill Lee say that they
      will take care of Boardman to Princess Anne.
      The next meeting will be on Mar. 25. I will keep the club informed.
      At the meeting I talked to Neill. He said that Big Sweep is on Sept.
      20 this year( always the 3rd. Sat in Sept) We discussed having Lumber
      River Fest on the 13th. That way we could try to get people to come
      out and help clean up around bridges and landings.