Float report, Little Pee Dee , Mar. 1, 2003

  • Marshall Thompson <canoeman32@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Today six LRCC members in five kayaks and one solo canoe paddled the
      Little Pee Dee from McKays bridge to Harleys Bridge. We put in at
      about 11:30 AM. The weather was cold and damp but spirits were high.
      I started off ahead of the others. Frank overtook me about a quarter
      of a mile downriver. Since I had reasons for a brief stop I decided
      to wait for the others. Frank went on downstream to scout ahead.
      When the others didn't come around the bend after a few minutes I
      decided to paddle up stream and look for them. When I got within
      sight of the put in I saw that they were not there. I called but
      there was no answer. Could they have passed me while my back was
      turned? I didn't really think so but paddled back downstream anyway.
      After paddling alone for about half an hour I caught up with Frank
      at the log That Jim McDermott had done such a great job of getting
      himself, his wife , and two dogs over a few weeks ago when we scouted
      the section. Frank said he had been off the river in the swamp for a
      while and did not know if we were ahead or behind him. Water was too
      high to go under the log today but one could get around on either
      side. While Frank and I were waiting we heard a whistle. It was
      Grant. First Jim Depree and then the others came into view. They had
      taken a wrong turn and gone upstream. There were no major obstacles
      at this level. The lunch break spot was finally reached about 2
      hours down. We were glad to get there. After lunch we paddled for
      another hour through what is probably the most scenic part of the
      trip with lots of mistletoe,holly, resurection fern, and spanish moss
      hanging from the cypress trees. We reached the takeout at about 3:00
      PM. Paddlers on this trip were Jim Depree, Frank Dupin, Tom, Mary,
      and Grant Florian, their dog Conan, and Marshall Thompson the trip
      leader.