Mill Creek/Neuse River Trip 2/1//03

  • Don Meece <dom@intrstar.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2003
      Today, a group of us paddled on Mill Creek in Johnston County, down to
      Ferry Bridge Rd landing on the Neuse River, upriver from Goldsboro,
      NC. The trip was a total of 6.1 miles on my GPS. We reached the
      Neuse after 3.4 miles. On Mill Creek we had several scoot overs and
      one portage, but this was a beautiful section with high banks and
      trees touching over the river. It ranged in width from approximately
      20-30ft. Once we got out to the Neuse River we had a good current
      with the reading on the Gauging Station near Goldsboro, reading 1920
      cfs, at 6.95 ft. Wildlife seen were herons and osprey and evidence of
      beaver. Those paddling today were Jim DePree, Frank & Katie Dupin, CD
      & Brendon Murphy, Jim & Mia McDermott and dogs Schmidt & Mazie,
      Charles West, and Don & Sandy Meece. This section completed the trip
      for some of us, from Hannah Creek on the other side of I-95 North of
      Benson down to Mill Creek and the Neuse.