Little Peedee Float - 11/2/02

  • jimdepree
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002
      Ice in some puddles didn't discourage Bob Guckel from leading
      Marshall Thompson and myself in a 10.3 mile trek down the Little
      Peedee Saturday. Gage height at Gallivant's Ferry was 5.6 making for
      a good water level with no significant obstructions and a respectible
      current in most stretches. There were also many cut throughs to take
      advantage of. We put in at River Access Road which is marked by both
      a street sign and a Park sign on the opposite side of Hwy 57. We
      lunched on the remains of picnic tables at Floydale landing and took
      out at a private residence (with the owner's permission, of course)
      at the opposite end of Blowhorn Road (the sign of which is missing)
      from the park access. This was
      about 1.8 river miles past the park access itself. Two alternative
      routes were possible under two bridges on SSR-S-17-22 after the park
      access. The right route was much more open; Marshall and I took the
      left which was doable with some difficulty. Weather was
      accomodating, brisk and windy at first, but with steady sunshine
      which warmed it up into the 50s as the day progressed. Wildlife seen
      included an otter, several deer, kingfisher, blue heron, ducks,
      turtles, and a red pileated woodpecker. Most of this stretch is
      winding, swampy and undeveloped but with frequent enough high banks
      to offer possibilities for stops.