Reporting Water Pollution

  • footslogger1
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2002
      While paddling on the Lumber River below Lumberton this Saturday I
      noticed a discharge into the river from river right. The flow was
      relatively high and had a purple color to it. This week I called the
      NC Division of Water Quality and spoke to Paul Rawls, Regional
      Supervisor, in their Fayetteville Regional Office. He knew the
      outfall I was describing; it is a textile dyeing facility. He said an
      inspector would be sent to make sure that they were operating within
      the limits of their permit.

      Mr. Rawls was very receptive to receiving this kind of information.
      He encouraged our group to report unusual discharges to his office.
      Be aware that many manufacturing facilities and municipalities
      legally discharge into rivers and streams, and the discharge may be
      allowed some color and odor. However, if there is excessive odor,
      persistent foaming, discoloration of the river itself or any other
      condition that seems abnormal, he would like to hear about it. Photos
      would also be helpful.

      Mr. Rawls can be reached during workdays at (910) 486-1541 x726,
      e-mail: paul.rawls@.... During nights and weekends you can
      call the DWQ Warning Points number at (919)733-0389. Almost all of
      the Lumber basin, as well as much of the Black and the South, is
      within the jurisdiction of the Fayetteville Regional Office. If you
      call about a discharge that is outside Fayetteville's jurisdiction,
      they can relay the information or forward you to the appropriate
      office. The Warning Points number is good statewide.

      Myron Whitley