Float and Picnic Report ,Lumberton, on Lumber River.

  • Marshall Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2002
      Talk about your best laid plans ! After the scout trip on Thurs. the
      water level dropped by about 3 to 4 inches.Ninteen people and four
      dogs showed up for today's float. Boats included tandem and solo
      canoes and solo kayaks. Most of the logs we scooted over on Thursday
      were pull overs today. solo padlers fared better than the tandems. I
      had to get out and pull over or portage only about three times but
      at least one of the tandem padlers said he had to get out and pull
      over 12 times. What a difference two days can make. And there was
      even some rain upstream last night. We arrived at McMillans Beach at
      about 12:35 PM . The picnic began at about 1:00 PM. Burgers and hot
      dogs grilled by Charlotte and wonderful dishes brought by other
      members were enjoyed by all. After lunch some of the paddlers were
      ready to go canoing again. After another shuttle they put back in the
      river bound for Noir St Playground. Todays paddlers were Wayne and
      Lynda Charles, Rudolph Floyd,Mary and Grant Florian and dog Conan,
      Bob Guckel, Danny, Diane,and Zach Isom, Jim and Mia McDermott and
      their dogs Mazie and Schmidt,Don and Sandy Meece, Bob and Frances
      Roberson,Craig Smith, Marshall Thompson, and Myron and Dorcus Whitly
      and their dog. Thanks to Charlotte for all the hard work planning,
      shoping, and cooking, Mary for shopping for some of the food and
      supplies, and to Bob Robeson for doing the shuttle.