Club Trip - Little Coharie Creek 9/8/02

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2002
      Five kaykaks and three canoes were paddled down the Little Coharie
      Creek yesterday from Boykin Bridge to Riley Town Rd in Sampson County,
      a distance of approximately 10 miles. Water level at the gauging
      station down river on the Black River at Clear Run measured 3.5 ft
      with 250 cfs. We had two portages through the woods due to recent
      downfall, and several trees to pull across. If the water level were
      higher we could have floated over these trees but other trees we went
      under, in turn we would have to pull over those. A very scenic trip
      and the river banks that were torn up due to clearing of the river
      several years ago has grown up has greened over. Wildlife reported
      being seen on this trip were deer and many buzzards and other birds.
      I was the trip leader of this expedition and those paddling were Jim &
      Mia McDermott, Charles West, Becky Wagg, Grant & Mary Florian, Jim
      DePree, Frank Dupin, Carlton Royal, and dogs Conan, Mazie, and
      Schmidt.