Lumber River Camping Trip 1-2 June 02

  • domeece
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2002
      Several members and guests, paddled this weekend on the Lumber River
      beginning at the boat ramp in Boardman, NC, on Hwy 74. The following
      paddlers did a day trip only down to the Lumber River State Park, a
      distance of 8.3 miles. Those paddlers were Marshall Thompson,
      Channing Stone, and guests, Darryl, Lisa, Katie & Nickie Yax. The
      following members were camping out; Don Meece, Charles West, and
      Carlton Royal. The water was very low, 2.2 at the gauging station at
      Boardman, on Saturday and dropping. We had several soot overs and
      there were many sandbars. Wildlife seen on this section included a
      king snake, blue and white herons, and turtles. After arriving at the
      park, the campters, Charles, Don, and Carlton paddled on for another 2
      miles before setting up camp on a nice shaded sandbar around 5pm.
      After setting up camp and building a fire (to keep bugs away) we ate
      steaks cooked on the grill. We then moved our chairs to the water to
      avoid the horseflies and yellow flies. Around 7:30 pm we heard voices
      and around the bend came Mike & Liz Britt & dog Blackie. They had put
      in at the park, late, and were trying to find us. We stayed up until
      the late night hours socializing before turining in. The next
      morning after breakfast we slowly packed up and headed down river to
      Fair Bluff. The water level this day was 2.08. We had very low
      water, trees to scoot over and many sandbars for breaks. Temperature
      must have been in the mid to upper 90's but it was nice to be on the
      river. Thanks to Marshall for the shuttle back from Fair Bluff, and
      to Darryl Yax for the shuttle from Park to Boardman, and to Al Pittman
      who shuttled the Britts.