Lumber River Float Feb. 2, 2002

  • canoeman32
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      Members of Lumber River Canoe Club put in the
      Lumber, at "High Hill" at about 10:30 AM for a trip to
      Matthews Bluff ,(9.5 miles down) and Phillips Br.(another
      3.9 miles). Don started out fast and remained way
      head for most of the trip. A few others and I paddled
      hard and caught up with the front runners at or near
      the water plant cooling lake. Was hoping to take a
      break at Tarkle bluff but those in front passed the
      landing so we all went along. After that we did not see
      Don and Jim until a couple of hours later at Horse
      Bluff Landing. In the meantime some of us were looking
      for a break spot. An aluminum canoe was spoted on a
      piece ground back in the swamp. We paddled back there
      and found some folks camping on an Island . I had
      been looking for that Island every time I paddled this
      section since 1996 when other members and I ate lunch
      there. After lunch and conversation with one of the
      campers we put back in the river. This time Charles went
      on ahead, leaving Chris, Carlton, John, Rudolph, and
      I bringing up the rear. When we got to Horse Bluff
      the others were waiting. Jim steadied my boat while I
      got out. Then he , Don , and Charles were off again.
      I think they wanted to make sure they got to
      Phillips Br. before dark. The rest of us took a break and
      had good conversation with Charles Hickman who owns
      Horse Bluff Landing. We took one other break after that
      on a small piece of dry ground.<br>Water was high,
      (11.35ft.) and falling upstream at Lumberton. Downstream at
      boardman the level was 5.93 and rising .No portages or
      pull overs were necessary but we did have to go around
      a root ball to get past a fallen tree. Water was
      shallow where we reentered the river requiring a "scoot".
      Rudolph found another way on river left and came out
      ahead of us. He is fomous for "Rudy Routes". When we
      got to Matthews Bluff Rudy and I , ( the senior
      members on this trip ) ,were ready to take out. The
      others opted to continue on to Phillips Br. I'll leave
      it to Don to tell about the rest of the trip.
      spanish moss of any section on the river.<br>Paddlers on
      this trip were Jim Depree, Rudolph Floyd, Chriss
      Frandock,Don Meece, Carlton Royal, John Royal, Marshall
      Thompson, and Charles West.<br>Thanks to Charlotte Thompson
      for the shuttle.